description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, November 24, 2017

Early Immigrant to Connecticut: Anthony Beers


Anthony Beers

1620–1679

Birth 1620 Gravesend, Kent CO, England

Death 14 MAY 1679 Fairfield, Fairfield, Conn

There are some interesting details on Ancestry...where they quote  "New England Marriages Prior to 1700," see below.  Apparently Anthony Beers has some connection to Richard Beers.  Richard Beers may have been related...and he died in the King Phillips War in 1675.  He may also have been married to the same woman, Elizabeth Firmin as indicated in this document.

 


Anthony Beers married first Elizabeth Firmin in Watertown/Roxbury/Fairfield.  And then he married second Mary Adams, in Fairfield, CT.  His name has (see Richard) immediately after it, and Richard's has (see Anthony) following his.  But since they had different dates of death, it seems they are different men.

I'm afraid I can't figure out these listings.  And Ancestry is even more confusing because it calls Elizabeth as Fairfield (the name of the town) rather than Firmin.  And so all the trees call her that, though I found one that mentioned a father named Fermin. More investigation needed.

So I'm grateful that Anthony and Elizabeth had Barnabus Beers, their son. Anthony was the great-grandfather of Elizabeth Beers Booth, who married Zachariah Booth.  (If this should change, I'll come back here and edit and leave a comment! It's pretty amazing how fluid the ancestry history is, though I know these folks really did live and die in actual dates, the records seem full of disagreements.)

And now I have another war to learn about, King Philip's War (I only know King Philip was a Native American in New England).

Today's quote:

People often say that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder. This empowers us to find beauty in places where others have not dared to look, including inside ourselves.
Salma Haye
 

2 comments:

  1. This morning I received an email from Ancestry, where another "cousin perhaps" commented upon some document I'd included for an ancestor. That "cousin" said the document was wrong, that that ancestor never married so and so. And thus it changes all the rest of the family's records...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Anthony is Richard's nephew. He and another nephew, James, immigrated to New England with their uncle Richard.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.