description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Sunday, January 6, 2019

Texas letters of ancestors

I just found transcriptions of more letters written before the Civil War, from relatives in Texas.

So I'm posting them, where they are available!




(Note on layout, one page folded, with writing starting on right front fold, going inside for 2nd and 3rd pages, then back to front left for 4th page, then along margins, MaryPhillipsEliz24Sept1856.001 and 002)

                                        Beaumont Sept 24, 1856
Dear Lizzie
        You must excuse a short note this week as I cannot write more.  Willie wished me to write you a few lines for him as he thinks  he can better explain why you may not teach, he says the gist of the matter is this you are going to marry and you wish to teach but Mr. Reed does not, so you are waiting for him if he says marry good bye to school.

(next page of letter)
Now he says you need not deny it – for you know it is true.  I saw Helen all the Coulda (?) family called upon me yesterday Mrs. Catilda (?) is getting Helen ready to come.  Mrs. Louck (?) is about to go to housekeeping.  Mr. H. is building down below Mrs. Lewis’s (?) thing and are delighted at the idea.
        I wonder if it is  cold at the Pass as here.  I am sitting by the stove this morning.  Mornings have been so cold I sit in the house now I think the room looks so pretty since changing the furniture I have taken out the (scratched out 2 letters) Bowl & Pitcher

(next page of letter)
and put the table under the glass with several little things upon it.  The beaureau (sic) is where the table stood and the bed in the farther corner of the room my little table I have recovered with the same having a plenty.  Mr. P  is making a much larger one.   I see no prospect for us to come down until Christmas so have become quite reconciled to wait.
        I am much obliged for the dish.  I do find it very convenient nearly every meal I use it.  I have potatoes and they keep nice and warm in it.  Noah and his wife I have not


(next page of letter)
seen as yet.  I called upon them and they upon me but always miss each other.  Her family are bitter as ever she went to church and her brother never spoke to her but she said she did not care a darn.
        I have hardly been out since you left.  I am sewing. Just made a shirt entire yesterday for (General?)
        Mrs. W. Harring (?) has fiterd (?) some business and has been in two or three times she is making her a black silk dress off the piece your apron was bought – how does it wear?  I am looking this week to hear from Mother.
        Your, Mary

(then to margins of letter)
Love to Lucy  I suppose she is too busy with Mr. (Bendley?) to write unless I write her.
I don’t expect to be able to play one tune.  When I come home the piano will be so bad  Cannot you get it tuned I tell you this winter will ruin it if you do not.

(note: Lucy Granger married A. Wakley)

(Note on layout, one page folded, with writing starting on right front fold, going inside for 2nd and 3rd pages, then back to front left for 4th page, photo name:Mary&WillPhillipsEliz27July1858.01 and 02)

-----------------------------------
Fort Gaines, July 27, 1858
Dear Lizzie:
        Truly glad was I to receive your letter.  I do not go out at all now so get sometimes rather tired of the house and a letter from home takes my mind from other thoughts and serves to amuse me for some time.

        Mother Gainer is perfectly devoted to me  will not leave me one moment says she feels that we have come a long way to see her and so she must not lose one moment from us.  I am now getting so anxious to be through my confinement. Oh! what exquisite happiness is mine and how thoughtful to my Maker shall I be when all is over.

(next page of letter)
but dear Lizzie as you wrote – “God doeth all things well.”  I feel my life in his hands and trust to him with a Christian spirit.

        You asked if I had heard from the Port (? could be North) since I left you.  I have not but lay it to my not writing as I agreed to.  I thought I would wait until I was able to with the news of the strangers arrival.  I think though there are some letters in the Beaumont office.  I declare I’m surprised at the time it takes for the Constitution to repair (Gings, maybe things?) I am afraid will not see you much before we return.  How fortunate it was Father was able to get business it must seem like old times to see him busy in the lumber line again.

        Give my love to Mrs. Brown tell her I hope to show her a young

(next page of letter)
man on my return.  I am glad they did not move again to the Pass by the way why did you not write who had become so excited in religion at the Pass?  I want very much to know.  Willie says he supposes is they are in want of a Fiddler so must keep up some excitement and substitute Prayer Meetings.
        Mr. Bunsley (?) really has gone to see his Mother too I am very glad to hear it.  I hope he will enjoy the trip and thus become pleased with his Step-Father.  You can have no idea how fond Mr. Gainer is of William he could not love his own child better.

        Ben, Milliefred (could be Willie fred?) brother – came to see us and he is the counterpart of Ben.  He had just taken out of the office Ben’s. & (Cinny’s?) Daguerotypes he was delighted



(next page of letter)
to receive them.

(same page, different handwriting)
                July 30th
Dear Mother
        As “Mollie” closed her letter rather abruptly, I’ll fill in my way of variety to you. 
            She” comes in this morning – at 4.o.clock – after thirty-six hours pains (the last twelve very severe)  Blessing us with the sweetes (sic) prettiest & fairest – blacked eyed “girl” ever was come along. What a disappointment the girls will exclaim both in one breath.  slap their faces for me and tell them the next will be a boy if it is not a girl – “Molly” made the trip without much fuss – The baby weighs 8 lbs at its birth and now is making so much nois (sic) nursing her mothers breast – I must stop right here & kiss it
_________________________

(outside of a folded document, photos MaryGainer26Nov1858.01 and 02)

Georgia
Clay County
Clerks officer
Superior Court
Recorded in
Book A
Page 689
Novemeber 26 – 1858
Spencer Caldwill Clk

(inside document)
Georgia
Clay County

Be it known to all whom it may concern that I, Mary C. Gainer of the state & country aforesaid for the natural love & affection which I have for my grand daughter Zuleika (sic) Gainer Phillips daughter of my son William Phillips & his wife Mary H. Phillips of Jefferson County Texas (but now on a visit with me in Fort Gaines in the state & country first above named) do for the consideration aforesaid give my Negro (sic) girl Francis about fifteen years old, to my said granddaughter for her own purposes & benefit’ No right & title to said Negro girl, I hereby bind myself, my heirs, executors, & administrators to so warrant & defend to my said grand daughter in full right thereof forever.
In witness whereof I have hereto set my hand & offered my seal this twehtysixth day of November A.D. 1858. 
                Mary C. Gainer
Signed, sealed & delivered in the presence of
        Thomas H. (--?--)
        Geo B. Hardlan (---?---)
 

_____________


(No notation of date or place; photos MaryPhillips.001 and 002)

There is plenty of Game in the woods but William has had little time for hunting now.  Does are rather scarse. (sic) The Black tong(?? Two letters added above word, unclear) killed a great many off last year they say.
        I have not got my Piano yet – waiting for a draft on P.O. as I think I can be better suited by sending there for it.
        I must remind you will wirte me as I am anxious to hear how you are this cold Winter.  I almost feel as if I had got back to the North.  Do you remember of ever experiencing such cold weather any Winter before?
        Lizzie writes me Mother has suffered a great deal with the Asthma, It is impossible for her to endure the cold.

(on back page)
I receive the Harpers and regret I did not take the Ladys also (perhaps publications?)  I find many people even away up here (Monde?) who know you and ask with no little interst after you.
        The river is rising very fast today and we are listening for a Seamboat every moment.  There are some seven or eight flat-boats on their way down with Cotton.  Hoping to hear from you soon, I close,
                Yours affectionately,
                        Mary H. Phillips
 ________________________________

(note by author: The piano arrived, according to a letter posted on_ June 10th, 1860)
___________________________
(no heading, written to her Mother-in-law, Mary Gainer, see photo MaryPhillips.002) (must be after Sept 1860 birth of 2nd child)

The children are quite well.  Zulie often talks of you all.  She is growing very fast and talks us nearly crazy.  Is very curious must know and understand every thing she hears and sees.  She is pretty, bad and smart and I am I regret to say entirely unable to control her never having seen ever  such a temper.  I often wonder how Lizzie would manage her, although Zulie has been much spoiled (--?--) everyone, she is very affectionate, child loves me dearly  but does not want to mind.  Ada is different more mild the sweetest and caring little thing will let you kiss her all day and not get mad.  Pa Gainer says Zulie is the worst child he ever saw and Ada the best now if they do not spoil her.  She began to walk a little past nine months it is so cunning to see her walking her hair curls and she goes round

(on back page)
jabbering to herself you all would eat her up.  I have not had a pair of shoes to fit her since those you sent and they are all worn out.  I have let her go barefooted this Summer on account of not being able to get any for her.  I do hope some goods will come to Town Bluff.  Zulie too ears anything for shoes.  I am very much troubled about getting everything.  There are no goods any near us.  I expect we shall see sights to get things to wear this Winter.  I think you will find a letter of winds if nothing else.  I will try to write often as I can.  I have on hand a monstrous pile of sewing though, but will answer all who write.  All desire Love keep a cheerful heart dear Mother. I think of you much and often.
        Your affectionate Daughter,
                        Mary

(Author’s notes: Pa Gainer is in Texas, or has been to have seen both granddaughters.  His words are being relayed to his wife, Mother Gainer, by Mary.  The time may be after Confederate blockade has made goods hard to obtain.  Ada had been born Sept 15, 1860, so would be 9 mos old by June of 1861)  But the blockade wasn’t really holding manufactured goods back entirely. Perhaps goods just weren’t being shipped at this time, except for war needs.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.