description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Saturday, September 30, 2023

Family Archives

 This is a repost from last year...just to share again some interesting people on my family tree...

I'm enjoying this adventure into unknown ancestors. Though actually many of the photos are attached to someone or another. But if I should go back up the tree of a man who was married to my great aunt, I think I'll find some interesting photos. So these aren't blood relations...and indeed it can be confusing because my great aunt married a man named Rogers, and then my mother did too. Those men however, didn't have any relation to each other!

Robert Shelton Rogers Sr. was Rowena Eugenia Miller's husband. Rowena was my grandmother's sister.

They had two children, one of whom had five children...in my generation. And there are grandchildren now of course. 

The Miller sisters, 1951. Dorothy, Margaret (behind) Mozelle sitting, and Rowena. The Robert Sheldon and Rowena Miller Rogers family didn't have any photos on Ancestry. 

But to go back in Robert S. Rogers Sr.'s tree...we see he was 4th of 9 children in his family. Their parents were Almoth Dowden Rogers and Lila Stone Rogers.

Almoth went by "A.D." Rogers, here in 1905

He was elected to the Texas Legislature twice, though his obituary says he was a state Senator.

Almoth D. Rogers

Lila Stone Rogers (Mrs. Almoth Rogers)

A great family photo...with matriarch Lila Stone Rogers (Mrs. Almoth) in the center, and some of her children around her. On the left of this photo is Corrine, and behind her is Mary. Bascombe is behind Lila, and her son A. D. is next to her. I think Bascombe is a husband of one of the girls. Ah yes, Mary Rogers married Bascombe Renshaw!

Lila Stone Rogers in her later years.




The Rogers house on Mayflower St, Alamo Heights, San Antonio TX

And now to look at the children Rogers...

And here's the photo to match the prompt "Unknown faces." I have no idea which is which of the children Rogers, on the front steps of their San Antonio home.

Jessie Stone Rogers Matthews

Jessie and Thrace Rogers 1927 in NY

James Hogg Rogers in the army for WW II.
Wedding of Mary Elizabeth Schneider and James Hogg Rogers 1939. I'm so glad this photo was included in Ancestry...what a wedding that must have been!!



The family of James H. Rogers, Mary Elizabeth Rogers, Mary Schneider Rogers, James Hogg Rogers and James Hogg Rogers Jr. Austin TX April 1945.

I enjoyed visiting this other Rogers family. It was neat to see the James H. Rogers had a daughter in the same year I was born, 1942, with the same name as my sister (born in 1946). 

Hoping you have a great weekend!
Sharing with Sepia Saturday 



Today's quote:
This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in.
 -Theodore Roosevelt, 26th US President (27 Oct 1858-1919)


14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful collection of photographs of members of the Rogers’ families. Two particularly struck me - the Miller sisters looked so happy; and I have never seen such huge bridesmaid bouquets in a wedding photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to find this one and only photo of the Miller sisters! Specially since they're all smiling! I did notice the hats on the bridesmaids, but not their huge bouquets! Definitely a big wow!

      Delete
  2. I like your idea of exploring "unknown" ancestors. Following a family tree along the main branches is not too difficult, but when you add all the leaves and twigs of aunts, uncles, and cousins it gets pretty confusing to work out relations. Your 1939 wedding photo is a great example of bridal pageantry. Too bad we can't see the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the bridesmaids in forest green. Not red of course. Maybe deep blue. But green is my guess. I have these little leaf hints on so many of my ancestry members, and most of them are just that someone else has the same information on their trees that I already have. But every once in a while there is something really new. Now that 1950 census records are available, I expect many hours of hint perusal. Maybe next winter.

      Delete
  3. Great family story with some wonderful photos (thankfully some of them captioned). Figuring out who the children are is tough. Maybe relative age comparisons might help narrow it down. That wedding photo is really something. Agree with ScotSue on the bridesmaid bouquets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the James H. Rogers and Mary Schneider marriage, and thought of my cousins, one of whom also married a Schneider, and their father had been my uncle - James Rogers, but with a different middle name.

      Delete
  4. The wedding photograph reminded me of my best friend's wedding. She was on the short side and all her bridesmaids were quite a bit taller than she was, but she was the bride in the beautiful bridal gown and stood out among them anyway. :) I was always lucky in that I was asked to sing at my friends' weddings, so never had to buy bridesmaids dresses and matching shoes and all that, but still got to be an important part of their weddings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so smart to have the bride stand out with all those taller bridesmaids...her bright white dress and veil would have definitely helped. I am glad to hear you got to be in your own choice of dress for singing for friends' weddings.

      Delete
  5. The only thing I might add from before when I mentioned the wedding photo is - what on earth kind of bouquets were those bridesmaids holding? They're huge! The bride's small simple bouquet seems somewhat out of balance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. I'm glad to see last year's comments came through with this post. Someplaces (I do use different programs) the comments disappear.

      Delete
  6. The name "Almoth" is new to me and doesn't seem to be in any name lists. I wonder if its one of those combined names of two ancestral names. And I had the same question as LN. Those are BIG bouquets. Maybe it's a Texas thing? :–)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the florist flubbed, but it was too late to send them back! They're just awful! Yes indeed, Almoth must have been a name from the imagination of his parents when naming him!

      Delete
  7. I love this selection of photos. There is something about front porch pictures that draws one in, even when the subjects are unknown. I am also fascinated by the indoor settings in your ancestors' homes, which set a tone and evoke their time period. Then there is James Hogg Rogers' WWII photo: photographers must have been busy after the war with these portraits. My dad posed for one, as did my Uncle Fred. This seems to be what most WWII vets did -- luckily for us family historians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometavimes men in the armed services had their photos taken in their new uniforms, with the new haircuts too. Such was the case with my husband and oldest son. They never went to war, thank heaven.

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.