description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Saturday, August 12, 2023

School days from my dad's family

Finally I've got some old pictures on the right topic (School Days) for Sepia Saturday. (I do admit to having posted some of them before.)




 From yearbooks of  Central High School in Fort Worth, Texas in the early 1930s.  Both my father, George Rogers, and his older brother Chauncey, were in Company A of the ROTC at Central High.

probably 1930, Central High School, Fort Worth, Texas

This photo may have felt really imposing for someone, but it doesn't show the faces of about a third of the cadets in Company A.  Proper military formation however, and someone has cut and pasted the two adjacent pages from the yearbook together for this panoramic shot.  I believe my uncle Chauncey Rogers is second from right on front row.  Can't recognize my dad anywhere.

1931, Central High School, Fort Worth, Texas
  Chauncey was the First Lieutenant, then Captain, and my dad moved from Private to Corporal in these two pictures.  In the above photo, Chauncey is in front row next to the woman.  I'd like to think my dad is the one holding the flag in the back, but I really don't know. In the past I thought he was right behind Chauncey.

But in reality, these pictures were taken when my father was between 15 and 17 years old.  His brother was 2 years older than he was.  And don't forget, many times young people didn't finish high school at exactly the same age.  It wasn't until my parents were both dead that I found their San Antonio high school graduation programs and that my father graduated a year after my mom.  He was 3 years older than she was. When I asked the surviving Rogers brother, he said he was so much younger than they were that he knew nothing about why that happened.

I did share many other high school photos of my mom and dad from yearbooks on my post HERE.

Have a great week, and go enjoy what other Sepia Saturday folks are posting at the bottom of this site where their names are, and maybe you'll feel like joining in one of these days!

Today's Quote:


Never be so focused on what you're looking for that you overlook the thing you actually find.
Ann Patchett
 


7 comments:

  1. I suppose illness could account for a delay in graduation or the need for a person to drop out and work for awhile.
    I like your quote from Ann Patchett. So true in family history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've considered both those possibilities, but it doesn't matter now. They married, and so a family was started.

      Delete
  2. My dad got an ROTC scholarship to attend the university of Maryland, but I didn't know the ROTC was active in high schools too. Uniforms like that cost someone (or the government) a lot of money. I have a few pictures of my dad in his college years in the ROTC drill squads but they did not wear anything so formal as these young men. The seated woman in uniform looks out of place. Since in this era women were excluded from military service I wonder why she was there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly, the woman was considered a "sponsor." But I have no idea what that roll meant. My mother was also in some kind of uniform, which I'll share again soon. There were many German immigrants in that area of Texas, and I think they may have not been against Hitler at the beginning of his reign.

      Delete
  3. My son missed graduating from high school when he should have because he'd missed a semester in two different classes. He had a good job so it took a few years before he went back to school at night & finished those classes to obtain his diploma. When he did, it was the same year his youngest sister was graduating. He was offered the opportunity to "do the walk" (across the stage to receive his diploma formally) but opted not to. Understandable. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange to many people to have the graduating date as a big deal, while for many others, life gives other important options to be considered. I didn't do the walk for my B.F.A. degree, which was in Dec. but by the time I got my 2 graduate degrees, I wanted to be part of the pomp and ceremony. It was a bit of a let down, being an August graduation after all.

      Delete
  4. Incredible images! I know so many Germans moved to Texas, but when comparing the two places it just baffles me as to why one would move from Germany to Texas.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.