description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Another Thomas Horton family tree

There appear to be two Thomas Hortons, (at least!)
I think my ancestor is the one born in England who came to America in 1633.
One of them died in 1641 and is buried in Springfield, MA.
One of them married Mary Eddy (perhaps of Windsor, CT, which is pretty close to Springfield MA.)

The other one died in 1687, in Charlestown, MA

And another one settled in Southold, Long Island, NY.

So maybe the whole information about Charlestown MA (yesterday's time line HERE) isn't anything to do with Thomas Horton, as my ancestor, because if he lived in Springfield MA, he was a leader there, and not a citizen of Charlestown.

 Here's a narrative of the Thomas Horton who lived in Springfield.
Born about 1602 in Mowsley, Leicestershire, England, son of Joseph and Mary (Schuyler) Horton, where he married Mary Eddy.
They sailed to America on the ship "Mary and John", along with their firstborn child Mary, born 1629, and Thomas' brother, Jeremiah, about two years his junior. They arrived in Massachusetts early in 1636, preceded by his older brother, Barnabas, about a year earlier, on the ship "Swallow". Thomas and his family left immediately for Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut, where they sojourned for a short time. It was here that their second child, Jeremiah (1636- ) was born.
By 1638, Thomas and his family had moved to what is now Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts, where he was one of the founders of the town, a town officer, and proprietor. His signature is still to be seen in the "Pyncheon Papers", that have to do with the land purchase from the Indians. It was here that their third child, Thomas II (1638-about1714-15), and fourth child John (1640-) were born.
Thomas I died in 1641 at about 39 years of age.
This narrative indicates his wife Mary Eddy had been born in England, rather than Windsor CT. 
Another confusing factor is that Mary Eddy Horton of Springfield married again following the 1641 death of her husband Thomas Horton. 

And did I mention that there are 2 sets of parents for Thomas Horton in England?  There is one that speaks of a mother who wouldn't have been of childbearing age when he was born, thus is pretty unlikely.

So for now, I don't know which Thomas Horton was truly my ancestor.  And I sure don't know where Mary Eddy was born.

But I'm pretty sure their daughter Mary Horton married Job Tyler.  It is more likely that she wasn't living out in Springfield MA, because Job Tyler lived near Andover, Roxbury and Mendon MA. 

It's all pretty confusing.  And so what I write today may all be tossed out tomorrow.
In the meantime, I did find a primary record, and read of the birth of a Mary Horton in England, daughter of Thomas Horton, in 1617, the text clearly legible with Latin descriptions of the dates in England. And it calls Thomas as "rectoris de Trednigton."  Does that mean he was a "ruler" in England?  I need to have a better translation from the Latin here!  The document does give her baptism as Nov. 2, which I am able to translate! (Source: Warwickshire England Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1535-1800.)

Today's quote:

An aware traveler sees each new journey as an opportunity to gain a greater understanding of humanity

4 comments:

  1. My ancestors were William horton died 1612 buried in Sr James church Staunton,there was also a Thomas horton.a horton ancestors married a Whittington of pauntley related to Richard whittington Lord mayor London.also extended famiiy in treddington Warwckshire.some ministers at brailes treddington. David Lord. Mother a horton

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are related as this is my line. Thomas os springfield is not related to barnanbas of southold ny. They may be cousins but are not brothers as is reported. If you want me to lay out the family line i am happy to do so. Happy to met you all... I have us back to 1160.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi would love to see your family tree we have gaps nice to hear from you david

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, please send an email directly to me, as I have no idea what your line is the way these comments say "unknown" as the source. blackmtnbarb@gmailDOTcom.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.