description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Postmasters...

I recently found out another ancestor was also a postmaster.
It seemed to be something various grandfathers did.

Great-grandfather Leary (Leroy) Francis Webb...19 Sept 1881, Postmaster appointment for Huischach, Goliad County, Texas (later spelled Weesatche).  See the document below.

Later on (April 1910) his son John Webb was appointed Postmaster.  It looks as if there were several other Postmasters in the intervening years.  I know the Leary Webb family moved by 1905 to San Antonio TX, where his son Albert (Bud) Webb married my grandmother, Mozelle Miller.




I've posted before *HERE* about Leary (Leroy) Francis Webb...and his chidren.
The Webb family was on my mother's side of my family.

Check out Sepia Saturday for more interesting posts that link to this theme.


8 comments:

  1. I wrote about my gggrandfather who was a postmaster, but now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure there was another postmaster in the family. I'll have to check. Thanks for the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had a ggg grandfather who was a rural postmaster. Seems like it was the job de jour in that generation when the postal service was up an running at a fair clip -- and so helpful to us generations later that the postal service kept such detailed records.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I think I know of 2 other postmasters somewhere in the ancestry docs. But I didn't take the time to find them.
    Moly -I'm learning a lot through the Sepians' posts about many other postmasters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have shared my family history on my post this week as my maternal great-grandfather was a postman from 1890s to 1930s in a small Minnesota town. He probably started with a horse drawn wagon but in around 1910 was given an automobile. There's a great photo that I may feature one weekend if we ever get the postman's theme again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike - it's great to think that the postal service eventually provided your g-grandfather with a car for his deliveries. He probably carried a zillion post cards, and who knows, you may have a few of those in your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had thought about postmasters. I have a couple in my family too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No matter how much you think you already know about your family background, there always seems to be something new to discover at some point which is, of course, what is so compelling about researching your ancestry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, I know of one for sure, and as I scroll through various early settlers, I keep finding more who were appointed postmasters (at least for a while.)
    Gail - you won't believe what I've been doing today...will post about a first wife of a step-father soon. I do get a bit distracted.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.