description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, July 5, 2019

Early St. Louis summertime

There I am, all of 8 years old, standing with my 4 year old sis in front of my dad's pride and joy, a Studebaker in 1950, St. Louis MO. The photo also ties in to my mother's mother, Grandmommy (Mozelle Munhall) who made our matching dresses, and also to remember some great aunts (actually cousins) Alice and Gertie Attaway, who embroidered the pretty Peter Pan collars.

Of course little girls don't pay much attention to how much work it took my dad to keep his cars running, as well as a daily grind of 8 hours behind some desk or another.  And then to have time to enjoy life on a picnic.  I do know that he was very good to all us girls, and we held him in our hearts all his life.

I think since my birthday is in August, it was probably mine being celebrated with a homemade cake, and I would have been a big 11 that year. (My other immediate family birthdays were in February, March, and November.)

I am sharing the blanket (wearing polka-dots on the left) with cousin Claudette behind me, then sis Mary Beth beside me, cousin Sandra next and then my father.  I'm thinking that we're someplace in Forest Park, St. Louis to have a lake next to us.  The food stuffs in the foreground include one of my  favorites still, Cheeze-Its!  This was the days before plastic grocery bags, so there are several paper bags with some yummys in them, probably chips and sandwiches. They would have been wrapped in wax paper, as plastic sandwich bags were still to be invented.

Claudette and Sandra were 11 months apart in age, and had come to St. Louis on the train probably from their home in Houston. Sandra was just 2 years older than myself with a December birthday. Now that I think about it, I wonder if they traveled alone all that way. I kind of doubt it. When my mom and myself and sis went to San Antonio by train several years later, it was a 16 hour trip.

Claudette will turn 80 this Sept. 28, 2019. I've been out of touch, so I hope she's well.

Sharing with Sepia Saturday, which has a photo of a lot of cars...thus my link to it this week.






5 comments:

  1. Love the matching plaid dressed. My maternal grandmother sewed beautifully and my sisters and I always had matching dresses for Easter, and lovely new ones for Christmas every year! I still have her old Singer sewing machine. Must be around 80 or 90 years old by now. There's something wrong with the tension which I'll have to see about, otherwise it still hums right along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheez-its, wax-paper-wrapped sandwiches, picnicking on a lawn by a lake, posing with the family car...these photos evoked fond memories of my own childhood! Thanks so much for this nostalgic post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those girls in ironed dresses look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those kinds of picnics too. This past year my wind quintet played concerts in several elementary schools and I can't recall seeing any young girls in dresses, much less matching ones. It's very unusual to see handmade clothes anymore on adults or children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these photos! Who would think a dress would have such a history ? And what luck that you and your sister didn’t block all the markings of the Studebaker that make this picture a historic gem.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.