description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019

No answers for a 5 times great grandmother

Continuing to meet my ancestors on my mother's mother's tree, the Booth Family Tree...today I explore Ancestry for my 5 times great grandmother Mary Sarah Polly Hyde Hansford.

She may have been born in 1729 or 1739, in Surry County VA.  If she was born on the later date, she would have been 14 when she married William Hansford Jr.  He was born in 1727, and that is the date recorded when he married Mary Sarah Hyde in 1753, where she is listed as having been born in 1730, making her the great age of 23.

But when I check her parent's birth dates, her father, Robert T. Hyde had been born in 1716, and could not very likely have had a daughter born when he was 13 in 1729.  So I'm leaning toward the later date of her birth.  Women might have married at 14, but men certainly didn't.

Oh dear, here we go again.  Robert Hyde of Virginia is listed (possibly) as an attorney who married Jane Underhill (mother that is listed of Mary Sarah) but this Robert died in 1718.  And he had a son Samuel, and a daughter who married a John Saunders who was well known in Virginia.  Oops. that's about Virginia Biographical information anyway.  

The Ancestry trees I've been following have him being born in North Carolina in 1716...so he certainly wasn't the same man as the Virginia one listed.  Poor guy, one or the other of them might have been Mary Sarah Hyde's father, now I have to do some work on Ancestry, mainly looking for source materials.  Are there any?

So it's time to start from scratch.  No wonder I've never followed this branch of the tree before!  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.