description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

And John Granger's parents were...

...John Granger III, and Elizabeth Harvey Smith Granger of Calbourne, Isle of Wight, England. They married in 1572 in Culmstock, Devon England...and had their daughter Annis Agnes in Isle of Wight, in 1567.Their son, John Granger IV was born in 1576 in Bedfordshire, in 1576...who grew up to marry a Mi'kmaq Indian woman named Jeanne/Grace Marie.

Brading Church, Isle of Wight

Different places had records apparently. I am amazed that there are any records from this far back. The churches did what they could. John IV's mother apparently died in 1577, and his father in 1591, age 41.

Grandfather of our John (married to the Mi'kmaq woman, Jeanne/Grace) was John (Samuel) Granger II, and his wife was Grace Williamson Granger. John (Samuel) Granger II had been born in 1520 in Isle of Wight, and his wife was born in 1530, place unknown. The grandfather apparently died in 1549, before the birth of his son John III in 1550. Grace apparently lived till 1599, and some ancestry people said she died in Plymouth MA. I kind of doubt that, (I can't imagine taking a grandmother age 69 to the colonies) so have left the place of her death missing.

Map of the Isle of Wight

The oldest John Grainger/Granger I in this family was born in 1490, in Isle of Wight, and died in 1559 in Isle of Wight. His wife was named Johne/Jane Whytyng, She was born about 1501 in the Parish of St. Peter and St. Paul, Langton, Lincolnshire, England, She died after 1522 in Isle of Wight.

Carisbrooke Castle, Isle of Wight

These are my thirteen times great grandparents, and none of my trees show any further names recorded of my ancestors in the Granger line.

The Granger connection is through my father's mother, Ada Swasey Rogers, whose grandmother was a Granger of New England.


At the time my Granger grandparents with 11 to 13 greats to show their generations lived in the Isle of Wight, most of the population were either farmers, fishermen, or boat builders or sail makers. I would imagine the castle existed then, but nobody mentioned who lived there so I'll assume it wasn't any of my ancestors.

And a recent news item of Juneteenth becoming a national holiday makes me wonder if my Granger family was related to Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger (the Union officer who took over Galveston) who announced the Enslaved persons of Texas were free as of two and a half years earlier.  I haven't seen any relatives by the name of Gordon.

3 comments:

  1. Barbara, Great research and photos to accompany the information. I've traced my dad's maternal side back to the 1600's in England and my mom's to the 1600's as well. No luck at all with my dad's paternal side...only 2 generations beyond him. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every day I learn something new, thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  3. My research shows John Granger lV having a brother Lancelot and I was able to trace General Gordon Granger back to his side of the tree just by going backwards from Gordon’s father.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.