description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Monday, January 30, 2023

Oops

 The families I spring from have some strange proclivities. What can I say? There are women on both my mother's side, and my father's side of my tree who tended to marry a man named Rogers.

My mother obviously did so in 1936  to George E. Rogers Jr. But another possible reason for posting under the topic of "Oops" is the date my parents got their marriage license. Yep, Friday the 13th!


Clipping says: "When Mataley Munhall and George E. Rogers walked into county clerk's office for marriage license Friday they didn't know it was the dire Friday 13. Told of the date, they hesitated not one whit, flaunting the age old superstitions. Wedding is set for November 21."

But my mother's aunt Rowena, sister of her mother, had already married Robert S. Rogers in 1927.

No relation between these 2 Rogers men, though they both lived in San Antonio Texas at the latter date. 

My father's father (George Rogers, Sr.) had one younger sister, Annie Lou Rogers who married Patrick Henry Wilson. They had 3 kids, the youngest being a daughter named Elizabeth Marie Wilson. She would be a first cousin once removed, I think of mine, my great aunt's daughter. 

Elizabeth Marie Wilson married Frederick Funston Rogers sometime between 1937 and 1942. He was a doctor, and their first child was Frederick Jr. born in 1943. They lived in Galveston TX.

Elizabeth Marie Wilson Rogers and Dr. Frederick Funston Rogers

So there were 3 women who married unrelated Rogers men. But the women were related through me...my mother's aunt, and my fathers' cousin who's mother had a maiden name of Rogers. And my mother who married my father.

Not exactly an "Oops" but still I thought it was interesting.




1 comment:

  1. That is interesting, in a way. All those unrelated Rodgers. Glad the Friday the 13 wasn't a curse on your parent's marriage.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.