description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, March 17, 2023

Membership

There are some interesting affiliations in my family tree. 

But for membership of one special person in my ancestry...

I choose Sir John Fitz Roger (Rogers) (1386-1441). I am not certain which king he was knighted by, as Richard II and Henry IV had reigns in England during his lifetime. He is not mentioned in any of the rebellions within royalty or the insurections from the nobility...so it's possible that he went on a crusade with one of the kings. This was the times of the Hundred Years War with France.

While Richard II reigned, Bollingbrook (later to become Henry IV) went on crusades to Lithuania (1390) and Prussia (1392). Richard II abdicated in 1399 and Henry IV became king.

There were battles galore...with Irish, Welch, French and others.

John Fitz Roger received a knighthood through recognition of military service performed, according to notes from the Ancestry site.

He was my 16th times great grandfather.

Sharing on Facebook in Generations Cafe' group for 52 Ancestors 52 Weeks.



 

What's coming up?

Week 13 (Mar. 26-Apr. 1): Light a Candle

April
Week 14 (Apr. 2-8): Begins With a Vowel


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.