description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Thursday, January 25, 2024

Music for Sepia Saturday

  My cousin teaches music. I guess he'd know a lot more about it than I do.

 I must share a photo of my cousin, John Fitz Rogers, who teaches composition (and other musical things) at The University of South Carolina, Columbia SC. He visited me last fall. So proud of him.


And of course he composes also!

This is a very brief description which leaves out a lot of his achievements. But I'm just a cousin...

"Intarsia" by John Fitz Rogers
Performed by The University of South Carolina Wind Ensemble Cormac Cannon, conductor

If you'd like more info about John Fitz Rogers, check out his web site, with much better bio. https://www.johnfitzrogers.com/

Sharing with Sepia Saturday this week, whose theme has operatic aspirations. I think the modern take that this piece has stretches my appreciation of music!








7 comments:

  1. Wow! What a talented relative. I did visit his website and he's accomplished so much.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad to have reacquainted with him in the last few years.

      Delete
  2. I cannot really get into modern music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Kristin. Except a few pieces where the performers were involved like modern dance.

      Delete
  3. I wonder what inspired him to write such a dissonant piece? The word Intarsia means mosaic so the title certainly fits the work. It's an interesting and carefully blended composition of differing tones and rhythms creating something I might expect to hear in the background of a science fiction movie, perhaps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've listened to other pieces he's composed, but figure I'm just not "with it" to understand this modern music. I was glad to hear he used to sing in a choir, which at least let me feel he still has "feet of clay."

      Delete
  4. I must agree with others, the video of the music may have been a clever composition, but it left me cold - I just wanted it to finish. I like my music to convey emotion or evoke a story i.e. 19th century romantic composers. This was not for me - but thank you for bringing your talented relations to,our attention. (From Scotsue)

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.