description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, April 19, 2019

Grandmother Elizabeth Keziah Bass

My 8 times great grandmother was a Nansemond Indian.  She converted to Chrisitianity, and married John Basse.  I've given background of their lives in the last 2 posts.

At the bottom of the bill to gain federal recognition of the Nansemond tribe, I've posted a copy of the document which states how she was baptized and married to John Basse, and it even states her parentage as a Native American.

This tribe has waited a long time to be recognized, and perhaps to obtain some benefits.  But I notice that the bill does not allow them to set up gambling (a great revenue resource for some tribes). I wonder if the tribe in Suffolk will be able to keep the land that they were planning to make into a historic village, similar to Jamestown.

I admit to not keeping up with all the doings in Virginia.

But I recently listened to a podcast about Bacon's Rebellion.  And it is apparently being taught differently in schools now. So I'm interested in the second episode.  It's on "All the things you missed in History Class."  Not that Bacon's Rebllion had anything to do with the Nansemond Tribe, but it does give some back story as to how endentured people (European, African, Indian) were needed for the tobacco industry of early colonial America.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.