description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Mary Lovett Tyler and the Salem Witch Trials

I'm currently reading a historical book about the Salem Witch Trials...which includes a lot of information about the events of the times, not just the trials, accusers and various accused persons. It is "In the Devil's Snare" by Mary Beth Norton, published 2002 by Vintage books. I'm having trouble concentrating, so it's slow going. But I wanted to add to my knowledge of my 8 times great grandmother, one of the accused.

Following is the post from 2018 which I shared here. 

Mary Lovett Tyler

1651–1732

Birth 7 MAR 1651/53  Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts

Death 03 MAR 1732  Preston City, New London, Connecticut,

Wife of Hopestill Tyler (See his blog Dec. 8, 2017)

Mary Lovett Tyler, Mrs. Hopestill Tyler, was accused of Witchcraft in Andover, Mass. in 1692, along with many other townspeople, men, women and children in other locations in New England.

There are original documents of her accusation...
and a good 4 pages of telling the story of her arrest, imprisonment, trial and acquital.

I'll post them as well as tell a synopsis of the events.

NOT Mary Tyler, but a woman accused of being a witch, and those who tried to prosecute her.  Some women and men were hanged.

From Pequot Plantation by Radune.

How is she related to me?  She's my eight times great grandmother on my father's mother's family tree, which I call the Ada Swasey Rogers tree...she's way up there with some of the earliest immigrants to Massachusetts colony.  I've talked about her husband Here, and her husband's father, Job Tyler, HERE.

The following pages are from North America, Family Histories 1500-2000, author not cited at Ancestry.  First is a description of Hopestill Tyler (at bottom of page 25).

Top of page is talking about Mary Post's trial for witchcraft, (we are not related to her.)  Hopestill Tyler info is at bottom of page

Top of page continuation about Hopestill's early life. Bottom of page 26, the story of Mary Tyler's Confession

Rev. Increase Mather states that Mary lied in her confession to being a witch to stop the verbal persecution she was enduring.

Mary is aquitted of the felony of witchcraft for which she had confessed. Her 3 daughters are also accused, but released when Hopestill pays a bond. According to Nevin's "Witchcraft in 1692" there were 11 Tylers named in list of the accused. There are no more details given of these accusations. I don't find a resource, but I believe she spent several weeks in jail.  Then the entire family moves out of state to Connecticut.






 Original transcript of 1692 witch trial of Mary Lovett Tyler

 Another page describing witch trials.

Mary and Hopestill Tyler had 11 children, the last 2 being twins born in 1687. Their children were either at home, or begining their own lives as young adults.  Martha Tyler Farnham (their eldest and my ancestor) married right after (or during) the trials June 30, 1693, and I've written about them HERE.

Both Mary and Hopestill adjusted to their new home in Connecticut, where he continued to work as a a blacksmith.  They both joined the church there, as well as at least one of their sons.  They both lived long lives, she died at age 81, and he was either 84 or 87 (due to differing dates on records.)

The Norton book has not added any specific details to Mary's story...(having looked through it to page 262 where Mary Tyler is mentioned.) I am not going to read the entire book, but will say that the frequent Indian attacks in New England seemed to have a lot to do with the various reports by children of witch attacks. I think Norton is merging these two horrific events in their lives, which sometimes resulted in legal ramifications, and sometimes didn't. And it's very interesting that so little has been said in American history classes about the frequent Indian attacks, which left many a homestead completely ruined as the people were killed.





8 comments:

  1. I am also related to the Tyler’s on my mother’s father’s side of the family. Mary is my 11 times great grandmother. I would love to read more about them and thank you so much for sharing this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. related as well, 8th great grandmother

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also related. Mary is my 8th great grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was here middle name lovett or is that a maiden name? My last name is Lovett

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting! She is also my 8th great-grandmother. I love learning about family history as I get older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She’s as close as I get to a Salem witch relative, that I can find: my ancestor Mary Blott Woodford was the sister of Mary Tyler’s mother, Joanna Lovett.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting…Joanna Blott Lovett was one of my grandmothers as well. It is noted -with no sources-that she was accused of witchcraft and died in prison awaiting trial. I think this is incorrect. Did you know your Mary Blott Woodford was a great (or great great, etc) grandmother of Ethan Allen, I am sure you do-and somewhere in there Nathan Hale is his cousin.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for these comments. If you wish to be replied to, or create an ongoing conversation, I'd urge you to share an email address. This post came up over a year ago. And I just have these tantalizing comments, but no way to respond!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.