description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Sunday, May 26, 2019

John Cannon served for/assignee of John Ellis

The document (original written one, photo in my last post HERE) about John Cannon serving in the Revolutionary War as assignee of John Ellis stayed in my mind for a day or two.  An assignee is apparently a person who can legally stand in for another...thus Cannon served in the militia instead of this John Ellis. Did he not fight at all?

How could I find out more about this John Ellis, in the North Carolina line?  I did a search through Ancestry's files, and sure enough, the document which I discarded with John Cannon's name listed, came up again. John Cannon is listed in Colonial Soldiers of the South, 1732-1774.

 Pg. 678 is on the photo of this microfilm, of which there are1276 pages and this is the 708th. I don't know source of the document this is from, but it's part of the Ancestry collection.

So I've put it back into grandpa Cannon's file (my great times 5 grandfather) and have thought to myself, "either the idea that these men were fighting in the 1750s is wrong, or John Cannon could have been fighting when he was a teen, if born in 1744."

But since the 100 acres of land were given to soldiers of the Revolutionary War (instead of their pay which the newly formed US country didn't have) and in 1796, Oct 11, John Cannon received a warrant for his, it is possible he also fought again later than the 1750s.

So let's at least go back a few pages and see if there's a heading for this list, of which John Cannon is soldier number 58.

This list is of Captain Nathaniel Bradford's Company...


I did find a great list of Captains who served in the Revolutionary War. It gave me this information:

"John Ellis, was Captain in the Bladen County Regiment, under Col. Thomas Brown, dates unknown."  Source: /NC/Revolution/nc_patriot_military_captains.html

But I don't know  how these 2 men might be connected such that John Cannon would have been listed as "assignee of John Ellis" in the late war (ie, Revolutionary War.)

But I did finally find a photo of a document verifying one man named John Ellis was a private in North Carolina, in the Revolutionary War.



1782 the top line shows John Ellis served as pvt. in 10th regiment. This document is in US Revolutionary War Rolls, North Carolina, 01st Regiment, 1775-1783 (Folder 1) - Various Organizations (Folder 23)

 I'm sharing this with Sepia Saturday this week, though a bit late. It's a fun pursuit, and I keep changing what I think about these men.  Who knows what my next discovery will be...



4 comments:

  1. On the list of NC Captains during the Rev. War, there is no Captain Nathaniel Bradford. So he served the militia in the 1750s and not in the big conflict...perhaps was deceased by then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fitting as we honor our military. Last night my family watched the PBS Memorial Day Concert, a beautiful tribute to all those who sacrificed for our country.

    It's great that we can access such records without leaving our homes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect post for Memorial Day weekend! I do a little searching for ancestors now and then, but am not as involved as some are. Still, when I manage to find information on them, I have to admit it's rather exciting. :) Fortunately, my great grandmother, years ago, had some professional tracing done of the family tree on two sides & I have quite a bit of information that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail - thanks for stopping by. Yes, there is excitement with ancestry hunting, as well as disappointments. So it all balances out.
    Susan K - I missed the concert this year, don't know what I was doing, but it probably was reading a book on my iPad. There's very little I watch on TV these days.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.