description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Catching up with known birth anniversaries of ancestors

No posts for the last 10 days!
Which ancestors had their birth anniversaries since my last post?

Apri 18, 1853 was the birthday of Alice Luella Rogers Ross. A great aunt who helped raise her nephew's children, including my grandfather, George E. Rogers Sr.  Aunt Alice Luella also gave birth to 12 children of her own.  When her brother (and George Rogers' father) W. Sam Rogers died, she was only 26 years old, and just had her first 2 children, who were about the same age a my 2 year old grandfather and his 1 year old sister.

There was no mention in any of the records I've found, as to what happened to my great grandmother, Betty Bass, who was just 19 years old at the death of W. Sam Rogers, her husband (who was 29 years old.) She apparently moved to Galveston and later on had her 2 children living with her.  But the Ross family had guardianship of the 2 Rogers children for much of their childhood.  Aunt Alice Luella was never talked about by my grandfather. But he carried the middle name, Elmore, the same as his guardian, Alice Luella's husband, John Elmore Ross.  Uncle John Elmore Ross went by his middle name, much as Aunt Luella went by her middle name. And my own father carried the middle name of Elmore as a junior also, but went by George.

But from all those children (most of whom lived to adulthood) I've never tried to contact any of these cousins!  So that's an interesting proposition.  Here's an early list of their families. 

April 23 was the birthday of Marion J. Philips, 1823-1907.  He was my grandmother, Ada Philips Swasey Rogers' great uncle.   I've written about him before (Here) with a copy of his letter to my grandmother...and HERE about my discovering more about his life and death.

Now to go back another hundred years, April 23 was also the birth anniversary of Elizabeth Lewis Kennon, 1724-1799. I focused on her life in this post HERE.  She was my 6 times great grandmother, who lived in Virginia during the American Revolution, and was buried in an unmarked grave in North Carolina.  She had 7 children, at least 6 of whom lived to adulthood.  The cemetery she was buried in is part of a historic site known as Machpelah, in Townsville, Granville County, NC, which has some buildings dating back to the 1850s, but not as far back as her own life.  This county is just over the line from Virginia, where the Kennon family had lived. The different counties names on records of the Kennon/Cannon sons in NC are probably based on how these counties were formed as the area became settled.  They are all along the northern border of NC with Virginia...Caswell County, Vance County and Orange County, NC.    I have looked a bit more at her children (mainly the sons) to see more about their lives, and found one John Cannon that probaby wasn't my great times 5 grandfather.  This man wrote a will, and called himself a mariner, married to Elizabeth, and no mention of children, but lived in New Bern NC...which is not near the area the other Cannons lived, nor near Knoxville TN where I believe my ancestor died. Some of my research about the early Kennon/Cannon families is minimal, and deserves more in-depth looks. This was last year's start of this pursuit HERE.

There were 2 more (at least) birthdays of ancestors which I missed sharing here.  So I'll have something to post about tomorrow!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.