description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Monday, March 4, 2019

Great times 3 Uncle Marion J. Phillips 1823-1907

Introduction: All I had to correct was one line of type which was in the wrong font.

I highlighted the one line, brought the cursor up to the type face choice on blogger at the top of my screen.

And then my stupid computer highlighted the whole blog post, and deleted it when I tried to do a "reverse the last action" with control "z".  All of the post...gone. Yep, it saved it before I could close it even.

Yep, I said ARUGH very loudly.

And either could have quit, or tried to remember all I had found about Uncle Marion Phillips all day long in making that post.  I know I won't.  But there are some new pieces of information, which I just shared onto Ancestry today. So I'm going to dedicate another hour to getting what I remember re-written.





Topic:
Great times 3 Uncle Marion was a life long bachelor, thus I'm using his life for the 52 Ancestors 52 Weeks collection this week.
 
How am I related?
He is my paternal grandmother's mother's father's brother.  Her great Uncle Marion.

Born in Fort Gaines, GA...a cotton port town on the Chatahoochee River before the Civil War.  I wrote about his mother recently, Mary C. Phillips Gainer.

I wrote briefly about his life before, so will not repeat that post.  You may look at it here.

He and his parents, and his brother and family all settled in the Tyler County Texas area.

What is new that I will share are the letters that he had in corresponding with his niece, Ada Pulsifer Phillips Sweet.  I've shared about her and her husband's life Here. 






Summary:
I am going to get new glasses this week, and then will attempt to transcribe these wonderful words.  He is writing about purchasing monuments for his brother's wife, Mary Phillips, and his parents, Mary C. Phillips Gainer, and Samuel Gainer.  They were buried in a private plot, and I now see on ancestry photos of that plot, but not the headstones.

And secondly he writes of also being in the same company in the Confederate Army as his brother William. They served in the commissary apparently.

And the third important information has to do with his own ancestry...giving details of the family and where they lived and when.

I can't wait to be able to figure all of that out.

For the future:
In order to foil the computer that eats blogs (Yes, you know who you are!) I will write other blogs about other letters between Uncle Marion and Aunt Ada Sweet, known as Auntie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.