description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Sunday, March 10, 2019

More Booth siblings of Joseph Booth

Author's Introduction: I'm spending a lot of time looking at the Booth Family of early Connecticut colony. Sometimes I may interrupt this series to look at other ancestors, but I am very interested in getting some more information about my mother's family roots.

Back to Joseph Booth's (1656-1703) remaining siblings.  He was the sixth child born to Richard and Elizabeth Hawley Booth.

7) Bethia Booth Curtiss BIRTH 18 AUG 1658  Stratford, Fairfield County, Connecticut,

DEATH 2 AUG 1699  Stratford, Fairfield, CT.


I found a nice description of her husband "Ensign" Joseph Curtiss.
The son of SGT. JOHN & ELIZABETH (WELLES) CURTISS, he married BETHIA BOOTHE on November 9, 1676 in Stratford, Colony of Conn. They were the parents of eleven children, the last three being triplets.
He was one of the most prominent citizens of Stratford. holding the office of town clerk for fifty successive years, 1678-1728, being only 28 years of age when he was elected. In all of the records, he always spelled the name "Curtiss".
Joseph was a deputy for Stratford to the General Court in Hartford in 1686, 1689, 1690-1694; Assistant to the Conn. Colony 16980-1721; member of the Governor's Council 1711-1715, 1717-1721; member of the Committee of War for the county of Fairfield in October , 1709; and he was appointed Ensign of the Stratford Company raised for war on March 6, 1692/3

One of her descendants wrote this on "Find a Grave"

BETHIA BOOTHE married ENSIGN JOSEPH CURTISS on Nov. 9, 1676 in Stratford, Conn. She was the daughter of RICHARD & ELIZABETH (HAWLEY) BOOTHE.
The children of Ensign Joseph & Bethia Curtiss:
ELIZABETH (CURTISS) UFFORD, my ancestor
Anna Curtiss
Mary (Curtiss) Nichols
Ephraim Curtiss
Joseph Curtiss, Jr.
Nathan Curtiss
Josiah Curtiss
Bethia (Curtiss) Burton
Eleazer, Ebenezer, & Eliphalet Curtiss (triplets)

I am also a descendant of Elizabeth Curtiss Ufford, my 8 times great grandmother.  

Did you notice that there was a set of triplets, for Bethia's last birth? Somehow the dates were listed as either July 30 or Aug. 1, 1699.  I'm somewhat surprised by that, and one of them is flexible, but it's awful to think of mom being in labor for 3 days.  And 2 of the triplets only lived a few months, as well as Mom Bethia, who died the following day, Aug. 2, 1699. But one little triplet made it to adulthood, and actually lived until he was 72 years old.  

And now to disclose that not only was Joseph Booth an eight times great grandparent, but his sister, Bethia Booth Curtiss, and her husband Ens. Joseph Curtiss were nine times great grandparents of mine.  That's the way some generations are shorter than others.

I am also glad to have just now found out that Bethia gave birth to tripets, because when I was having my children I didn't know that there had ever been triplets in my family! I had big enough babies as it was!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.