description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, March 8, 2019

Some details of Richard and Elizabeth Booth's family

Author's Introduction: I'm spending a lot of time looking at the Booth Family of early Connecticut colony. Sometimes I may interrupt this series to look at other ancestors, but I am very interested in getting some more information about my mother's family roots.

The children of Richard and Elizabeth Hawley Booth....

Daughter 1). Elizabeth Booth Minor. Born:10 SEP 1641  Derby, Fairfield, CT, Death 24 OCT 1732  Woodbury, Litchfield, CT.  Married at age 17 to John Minor. They had 9 children. She died in Woodbury CT. 

How far is that from Stratford (or Derby) in Fairfield County, CT?  I don't know why these children of Richard and Elizabeth have Derby as their birth places...which is 20 miles upriver from Stratford.  And Woodbury is another 20 miles upriver from Derby.  There is a map of Stratford which shows some property owned by different Booth families.  Perhaps there are records of births and deaths in Derby and Woodbury.  It is just a detail that belongs to great aunts and uncles way back in early settling stages of the country.

Next birth was 2) Anna Booth, supposedly born Feb. 14, 1643 and died Feb 14, 1644. How sadly romantic. Valentines day.  No more comments.

3) Ephrahim Booth - Born: 1 MAY 1648  Derby, Fairfield, CT, Death 9 MAR 1683  Stratford, Fairfield, CT.  He married twice, and both wives were named Mary.  Actually, he may have only married once, and two sets of genealogical records give different Marys as his wife, because the children are all born after the first Mary's death. I'm not going to try to figure it out...there were about 4 children, and the marriages were either in 1674 or 75.

4). Ebenezer Boothe, Birth 18 NOV 1651  Stratford, Fairfield, Connecticut, Death 1732  Stratford, Fairfield, CT. Fortunately (for me) I now find that he and his brother John were not born and died the same year, as previous records had shown.  Hoorah for more hints at ancestry to get that straightened out.  I now will go back to my comment on Richard and Elizabeth Hawley Booth's posts about that and make a note.

Ebenezer has several names listed in Ancestry as his wife, and I think again there is confusion in records as to which generation perhaps is being referenced.  They had some children, and I haven't gone any further into this line of the family. I notice some of the records include his name spelled "Boothe." There were descendants in Stratford who also spelled their name that way.  Ebenezer did have a will which has children listed, but not whoever his wife might have been. There are about 8 children with each wife according to the 37 public Ancestry family trees...and they don't agree. 

5)  John Booth, Sgt. Birth - 5 NOVEMBER 1653  Stratford, Fairfield County, CT,  DEATH 6 DECEMBER 1728  Stratford, Fairfield, Co.   It's worth looking at the various documents which are listed under "hints" at Ancestry, if I have the time.  I didn't look at the half dozen about a John Booth in England, since I knew his parents lived in Stratford CT.  But I did find a Barbour Collection document listing of the date of John Booth's death (as used on all the Ancestry listings) but he was "s. of John and Elizabeth Booth," not son of Richard and Elizabeth.  It's possible the other listing which states he died in 1717 might have been accurate.  

John married Dorothy Hawley, in 1678.  They had around 9 children (some with same birthdates again). Then he married again at age 61 in 1714 to Hannah Jones.  They may have both died in 1717. Or he may have lived until 1728.

A descendant has added his information at Find A Grave...

The son of my ancestors, RICHARD & ELIZABETH (HAWLEY) BOOTH, he married Dorothy Hawley on June 14, 1678 in Stratford. He married second, widow Hannah Clark on January 31, 1714.
His father gave him the homestead in Stratford on March 15, 1688. He served in the Pequot Indian War.
I'm leaving his death date as it stood, 1728, on my Ancestry tree.  Need more information (maybe a document more primary than the Find A Grave listing, which was written within the last 20 years.


6) Joseph Booth Sr (Deacon) my eight times great grandfather.    I'll dedicate another blog post to him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.