description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, March 22, 2019

Have a little fun!

Some fun photos come to mind...so I'll share a couple that I can find easily. 

The prompt photo has some folks on a beach kind of standing on one foot and moving toward the water, but they are fully dressed. (below) Just hamming it up.  I thought immediately of one of the photos of my father's family.

From l to r, father George Rogers Sr, son Alec, son Chauncey and son (my father) George Jr. posing as an Indian.  The middle two uncles are making gestures as well, with Alec posing as Napoleon, and I don't know what the thumb raised gesture of Chauncey might be.  But he's also thrust at a balanced pose.


The home at 1201 Woodlawn in San Antonio has a also been mentioned in some of my prior posts.

But I want to include some more of the family, so here's my grandmother, Ada Rogers, walking with her youngest, Jimmy.

This was dated at 1936. I know the Rogers family lived in San Antonio from 1935 to 1942.  Uncle Jimmy was probably 14 when this photo was taken. He joined the Navy in 1941 when he was 19.



And fast forward to 1953, this shot of my mother, Mataley Rogers on L with her eyes closed, walking with Dorothy (Dottie) Rogers, wife of James Rogers taken in Stevens Point, WI.  I like how my father labeled the photo "Leave it to Honey to shut her eyes. It's good of Dottie too."

Thanks for suggesting some  interesting shots related to this photo at Sepia Saturday this week.

"We are dancing along this week with a somewhat odd couple - the girl on the left is brewery heiress Grania Guinness, and the main on the right is Australian actor Cyril Ritchard. The story behind their odd pose has been lost, but that doesn't matter because they are inviting you to share you old photographs: whether they be of dancing, odd poses or anything you like.

Thanks Alan for hosting this meme!
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Nice matches to the prompt. I love the photo of your grandmother with your Uncle Jimmy. She's definitely all business while he is totally hamming it up. And the setting is interesting, too, with that crowd of children coming up behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos all, but I think the middle one is my favorite. Your uncle's smile contrasts with your grandmother's expression. He looks so at ease with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All are great photos. Would be fun to know what the heck those 4 fellows were doing in the first one? As for the second, I had an Uncle Jimmy too, but his real name was Ira. When my grandmother met his father - also named Ira - she said he didn't look like an Ira and promptly called him Jim and it stuck - right on down to their son named Ira, Jr., but called Jim. In the third pic', it looks like the sun was in your Mom's eyes, hence they're closed. And her coat gave away the approximate date of the photo as I had one very much like it back then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like when a Sepia Saturday theme inspires a mix of photos that might otherwise never meet. A bit like a card game where you try to find three of a kind. That San Antonio street photographer must have taken hundreds of similar snapshots. They captured both movement and mood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered what the four men were talking about when they struck those poses, and your grandmother looked a very determined woman as she strode out. Your final image brought back memories of my mother who wore a similar style of coat and handbag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun way to view family photos. Memories upon memories. BTW, I had a coat just like your mom's. Cost me the whole amount of pay I received for the potato harvest. My husband was shocked.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.