description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Joseph Booth's son Zachariah Booth Sr.

Author's Introduction: I'm spending a lot of time looking at the Booth Family of early Connecticut colony. Sometimes I may interrupt this series to look at other ancestors, but I am very interested in getting some more information about my mother's family roots.

Zachariah Booth Sr. (1693-1762) was my 7 times great grandfather. I offered some information about him HERE.

Zachariah's son -
Zachariah Jr, (6 greats) was the father of
Isaac Booth Sr. (5 greats) who was father of
Isaac Booth, Jr,(4 greats) father of
William Lewis Booth (3 greats) father of
Richard R. Booth (2 Greats) father of
Eugenia Almeta Booth Miller, my great grandmother on my mother's side, (for whom I carry the middle name of Booth.)

My ancestry tree also looks at Zachariah's mother (Joseph Booth's wife) who was Hannah Wilcoxson Booth..HERE.  Her sister married Barnabus Beers, and their grandchild married the child of Zachariah and Anna Curtiss Booth, Zachariah Jr.

No matter how I  chart this, it still is confusing. And yet those people were all alive at the same time, and they kept it straight.  They knew who was an aunt and who was a cousin, and who was grandparent to which children.

I am so happy when I find craftsmen in my tree...Zachariah built a home for his family. Many of my other grandfathers also built homes. Some were blacksmiths. Some were tanners, and one at least was a shoemaker.  I'm sure many a grandmother had a loom and wove cloth out of the spun wool thread she also made.  Later there may have been some grandmothers who wove with cotton threads.  It makes each piece of precious cloth that became their clothes so much more special, thinking of all the hours it took to make things.  And many times if the family had limited resources, each adult only had one or two sets of clothing to wear.

OK, that's my thoughts on this foggy day just a bit over a week before the equinox says spring is supposed to be here (or at least starting!)





Spinning wheel and loom from Swannanoa History Museum in Black Mountain, NC. Photos by Barbara Booth Rogers





No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.