description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Sunday, September 15, 2019

A.G. Swasey Sr. (1784-1861)

Here's the latest information about Capt. Swasey.

My GGG Grandfather, Captain Alexander G. Swasey Sr, was born on Sept. 10 in 1784 in Swansea, Bristol County, MA.

I just found (well a few weeks ago) a newspaper clipping which another relative posted to Ancestry.  It's a tiny bit of information but interesting to add to my "facts" about my GGG Grandfather.

On Nov 29, 1924, the Newport Mercury (newspaper) published in its column, "Seventy Five Years Ago," the following tidbit, dated Dec 1.


I had to read the entire page, which had editorials and ads, as well as death notifications...until I finally found Capt. Alexander G. Swasey's name!  After the listing of the 761 pound hog!  And it was more news of the resignation of James Horswell, Esq. where Capt. Alexander was appointed in his place.

But I think being the Permanent Inspector of the Port might have been pretty important.  After all Newport RI was a port, and Capt. A. G. Swasey had not only been a seaman, but probably had had a hand in building many ships that were sailing through it.

He was a noted wood carver, including the eagle which was displayed in the 1964 New York World's Fair in the Rhode Island pavilion.  I went to that fair, and may have seen that beautiful carving.  I just got a reminder of the artistic talents of our family.

Newport Mercury and Local News, Sept 4, 1964

My fourth cousin, also his ggg-grandaughter, visited the history museum and took these photos, Linda Clark.


Though the news article's description says the eagle is holding a small cannon in his talons, I can't figure that out.  I note that there are some other significant symbols on it though. It was carved in 1840.

His first wife Ruth Woodward died in 1842, and he remarried about 8 months later to Delaney Hines.

I like that his bones lie next to Ruth Woodward (it doesn't say Swasey on her grave) and then Delaney Clark (also no Swasey) and then one of his sons, Joseph Swasey who died in 1843.  He lived until 1861, and Delaney Clark (Hines Swasey) died in 1859, having been also married to a Mr. Hines at some point. Her marriage certificate to A.G. Swasey calls her Delaney Hines.

The last census that Delaney was in was 1850, where her birth was about 1805. In that census A.G. and Delaney had Ruth Swasey (age 21) living with them, and Sarah Lyon (could be a mispelling) age 55. 21 year old Ruth would go on to marry William James and be my cousin's ancestor.  But who was Sarah Lyon age 55?

There was actually a mother-in-law named Amy Lyon Hammet, whose son married Sarah Swasey, daughter of A.G.and Ruth Swasey.  But she would have been quite a bit older than 55 in 1850, since her birth was in 1782, making her near 77.  And since she had a daughter living still in 1850, and being named Amy Lyon Hammet, not Sarah Lyon...though she was alive in 1850 still, I think she wouldn't have been living with the Swaseys.  That was a big stretch.

And A.G. and Ruth's daughter, Sarah Swasey Hammet was only 23 in 1850. So whoever was of the same generation as A.G. and Ruth living with them, will remain a mystery.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.