description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Saturday, September 14, 2019

John Bass' siblings of Wayne County NC

John had about 6 siblings who lived until adulthood.

One thing I find may change my records is his owning land and being on a census, which tells me a birth was possibly earlier than I thought, because several of these titles for land would belong to 3-8 year olds otherwise, (was that legal?)

I'm currently trying to find out why Ancestry has two of his brothers named William!  One was supposedly born in 1792, and one in 1796. The 1792 William apparently lived until 1884.  The other William Bass (both sons of Edward and Sarah Bass on the same Ancestry trees) lived until 1858.  There are lots of records (some on both of their trees) and yet only one apparently married, and neither had any children, according to the will of the one who was married.  He fought in the War of 1812, and his wife got his pension from that war. I also have grave markers for that William and his wife, Nancy Maria Brogden Bass, in Goldsboro, Wayne County, North Carolina.

I wonder what the relationship was between these two men, or if they were the same person who somehow got statistics jumbled.  There's no way to tell any difference on census or war records, except where a birth date is also clearly given.  And once the Ancestry trees publish that a man is the child of certain parents, it's harder than heck to figure out if maybe he was a cousin.

I'm fortunate that some of my current cousins who are working on the same ancestors, sometimes make comments that help me figure out some relationships.

For now I'm going to combine these 2 Williams...and let the details sort out somewhere down the line.  With all that paper work of probates and wills, it's probable that the real William may have written more than one will (thus the use of many photo copies of his signature, and statements attesting to its validity.)

Oh dear, I just found out there are also apparently two Richard Bass' listed in Ancestry, as brothers of John Bas. I thought the one most likely had been the one who also died in Perry County AL. However, there's a document (details below) stating he lived in Tennessee and died around 1802, and had at least 3 heirs.  The other Richard doesn't have any heirs, nor a wife indicated. So (for now) scratch him, and bring back all the Tennessee Richard's information.

John's brother Richard Bass moved to Tennessee apparently (as mentioned in the probate documents of the father Edward Bass in 1802-1807.)  I'll include the description of that document here, because it names relationships of all of John's family at that time, even though it pertains to his grandfather.
Edward died in 1802 intestate leaving heirs at law: wife Sarah who has died during probate yrs.; son John Bass who died leaving issue Uriah, Mary, Betsy, Sally, Ann, Keziah, and Richard all living in AL early during probate; son Andrew Bass living in Johnston and Wayne NC; son William Bass of Wayne NC; son Uriah Bass who died as minor during probate without issue; son Richard Bass of Tennessee who died during probate leaving issue Elizabeth Bass Boyte (Thomas), Sally Bass Jacobs (Wm.), and Edward Bass all of TN; daughter Mary Bass a minor in 1802 who has married Britton Hood; and, daughter Keziah Bass a minor in 1802 who has married John Cox. The latter 2 girls are petitioning against the estate as they were young and not aware of their rights in 1802 so the property is being re-evaluated and divided in 1826.
Using John's father Edward's document, we know his siblings were:

Andrew (Johnston and Wayne Counties NC)
Wiliam (Wayne NC)
Uriah "who died as a minor during probate without issue" (between 1802-1826)
Richard of Tennessee "who died during probate" between 1802-1826
Mary "Polly" Bass Hood 1785-1850 (noted as being a minor in 1802)
Keziah Bass Cox 1785-bef. 1850 (also noted as being a minor in 1802)

And while looking at a site for Andrew Bass, up popped a "Find a Grave" site for (believe it or not!) yet another Richard Bass who died in another NC county, and is buried there in the Bass Cemetery in 1866, here's the link...but I don't know how he's related, and he's certainly not the one in Tennessee.

I am using these birth and death dates, but must remind you (and myself) that they aren't written in stone (unless they were on a headstone.)

Andrew Bass (1797- probaby died around 1836 in Perry County AL)

"5 Jul 1839  Joseph Vanderslise, Rynard/Renard Vanderslise, and Uriah Bass sign for Andrew Bass estate. Joseph Vanderslise appointed guardian for Sarah, Keziah, and Jerusia Bass, minor heirs of Andrew Bass"
I don't know who his wife was, but these 4 daughters were given guardianship following his death.
But WAIT. The Johnston County NC census has Andrew Bass with a household of 9 with only one male age 50-59, (which is about 10 years high for him). There is also a census of Andrew Bass for 1800 and 1820 in Johnston County NC, and nothing that indicates he lived in Perry County AL in 1826 -30 when he may have died leaving 3-5 daughters.
It's possible that was another Andrew Bass...
And back in Wayne County NC in 1826...
Ezekiel Holloman estate 1832 Wayne NC p4 of 23 - in estate on this page are John E Becton, Ezekiel Smith, Ezekiel Holloman, Andrew Bass, Abner Holloman, and Elijah Lancaster.

So it appears some Andrew Bass was alive in 1832 in Wayne NC.

And this estate of Ezekiel Holloman has lots of documents, including one that says:
Ezekiel Holloman's daughter Anna was wife of Andrew Bass, so now I have a name for his wife.

There is another estate settlement which Andrew Bass purchased some of the inventory dated 1825, interestingly enough for a deceased John Bass. I don't think it was my grandfather, who was said in other documents to be living in Alabama.

OK, there were others who were cousins and uncles in this family.
And I am sorry, but I've never seen such a mess of spaghetti of family lines.

I have nothing on my tree saying there was an Ezekiel Holloman related to my great times three grandmother, Julian A. Holloman Bass Green. But her children are named as those of her recently deceased husband John, so she must have been related to him, whoever he was.

Since I had planned to put in about an hour a day, getting through the Bass siblings, and then back to the fun which had happened in Virginia, I have just thrown in the proverbial towel. No more pulling out my hair trying to read all those pages of documents.

I have listed the siblings. There may have been more, or less.  I can't really tell.
And now on to the father of John Bass...Edward Bass 1754-1802.














2 comments:

  1. I'm looking for a Bass/Elmore connection. I descend from Everitt Bass Elmore( 1803 -1882) Wayne NC. He had a brother named James Bizzell Elmore, so I'm guessing his mother (or a grandmother) was a Bass or a Bizzell. Please let me know if you have ever come across and Elmore in your research.
    My email is aries4thirteen@yahoo.com
    Thank you!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heirs of Richard Bass (Elizabeth, Edward an Sarah, went to Tennessee after their mother married Elisha Boyet. Richard died in 1804 in Wayne county and his estate papers can be found there. I believe that his wife was Nancy McKinne daughter of Wm Jr and Mary Jernigan.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.