description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Thursday, September 26, 2019

Elizabeth Smith Bass 1700-1742 (6G)

My great times six grandmother was born in Craven County NC and died in Wayne County, NC.

There is no clear information about her family of origin.  One tree of the Bass family has a possible pair of parents from Pennsylvania, but I am skeptical about how she would have met her husband, Andrew, in North Carolina.  And another tree says the Smith family came from Virginia.  But they give her birth date as 1699, with her father's birth date as 1690.  Not many 9 year olds have daughters. So I didn't add him to my tree.

So Elizabeth Smith Bass apparently married Andrew Bass in Wayne County, or Craven County NC in 1728. Her actual birth is unknown, but around 1700.  They had only three children according to most records.  And Elizabeth Ann Smith Bass died around 1742...before her husband.

The children were:
Richard Bass 1732-1793
Ann (Anna) Bass Blackledge 1733-1806
Dr. Andrew Bass II 1735-1791

I just found an article written in 1982 about my grandfather (times 5 greats) Richard Bass and brother (my great times 6 uncle) Dr. Andrew Bass II, just a newspaper with a couple of paragraphs about their contributions to the founding of Waynesborough, NC.  I am going to post it tomorrow, as an addendum to their posts that I've already done.

But when looking at Ann (Anna) Bass Blackledge's tree, there was a confusion that could have been avoided on many (maybe 30) trees. She did not suddenly become Tabitha Bass who died in Franklin NC. That Tabitha had a maiden name of Fuller and married a man named Bass.  Our Aunt Anna Bass Blackledge stayed right in Craven County NC.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.