description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Andrew Bass 1698-1770 (6G)

My great times six grandfather was born in Norfolk, Independent Cities, Virginia, and immigrated to North Carolina where he died in Craven county, and according to an application for "Sons of the American Revolution" on the Thoroughfare Swamp Plantation.

His birthdate is June 9, 1698. And his death date is supposedly Jan 22, 1770.  I say supposedly because there is a will written in 1770, the microfilm copies are in the NC State archives.  And the last page of these archives has a will dated Nov. 14, 1783.  It is signed Andrew Bass.  But didn't he died in 1770? How can he sign his name 13 years later?

Another dilemma.  And with all the DAR and SAR people who have used his son Richard Bass as their soldier who contributed goods to the Revolutionary War, I would assume someone noticed this page out of the 4 of his will before now.




These two photos show the whole of page 4 of the 4 page document on microfilm.  Pretty damaged, but the handwriting is fortunately still legible over most of the page.

I just saw the list of delegates to the NC Constitutional Convention of Nov- Dec. 1776. Dobbs County has a delegate named Andrew Bass.  It wouldn't be this Andrew, unless he didn't really die until 1783.  But with all those probate documents saying he died in 1770, I guess it might have been his son, Dr. Andrew Bass II.

I am going to be looking at some of the other Ancestry Trees of the Bass Family...and may post some additional information as I come to it.  If I'm gone for a few days, I'll probably be back with some additions to my own trees!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.