description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Saturday, March 14, 2020

A brother of Grandpa Micajah Clack Rogers

Uncle times four Robert H. Rogers was the next younger brother of my great times three grandfather, Micajah Clack Rogers.

GGG Grandpa Micajah lived from 1795-1873, while GGGG Uncle Robert lived from 1796-1869. Robert was the next younger brother of Micajah, both among the 12 children of Rev. Elijah and Catharine Rogers born in Sevier County, TN.

Both Micajah and Robert served in the War of 1812 as teenagers. But Robert Rogers is also on a role list as having fought in the Seminole Florida Wars (no date given so I don't know which one of the 3.)

There was a cousin born in Sevier County TN, about the same time, also named Robert Rogers. He was the son of Rev. Elijah's brother James Rogers. So I'm not certain all the information about my Uncle Robert is actually his. That's what happens when two people have the same name, live around the same time At least there wasn't another Micajah!

I want to let you know I've got 4000 people on my father's father's tree...over on Ancestry. That doesn't count my mother's mother's tree, which has 2700, and my father's mother's tree, another 2304 people. My daughter's in law's families have smaller trees, and my ex-husband's family tree which I started for him, now has 547.

There are bound to be some errors, and as I learn about them, I do try to correct the information. So in case you are a descendant of Robert Rogers, let me know if anything here is not true.

Uncle Robert married in 1820 in Blount County, Alabama to Malinda Ann Henderson, who used Ann as her given name on the official documents.  According to Ancestry, they had already had a daughter born probably the prior year. This would have been pretty ordinary where new communities were being settled, where preachers didn't visit but a few times a year. However, there are numerous documents of their wedding being performed by Lewis White, the Justice of the Peace.

The R. H. Rogers of Blount County, Alabama appear in the 1830 in a household of men, with 2 female children under 5, and 10 slaves. The men include four who were ages 20-29, three who were ages 30-39, and one between 50-59 years old.  Robert would have been around 34 at that time, and I have no idea who all the others were, because he is listed as the head of household.

By 1840 R. H. Rogers is living in Winston, Mississippi. Now their household is just 3 members - one male 30-39, one male 40-49, and one female 20-29.

I should mention that he and his wife had had 3 daughters born sometime between 1826-27 and 1828. Mary Katherine F. Rogers would live a long life and have many descendants. I may share a photo of them later. There isn't much information at this time about Amanda and Matilda.

The family trees over on Ancestry say Malinda Ann Henderson Rogers died in 1835, but there are no records of such.

But there are quite a few records of yet a second marriage by Robert H. Rogers in 1834 to Lucinda Hale, by the same Justice of the Peace in Blount County Alabama. There are some notes from an unknown source that one of my Ancestry friends posted about Robert H. Rogers, and I find they don't really hold much validity. But I'll let you know how they effect his second marriage. They say Lucinda Hale was actually Malinda Ann Henderson Rogers' niece...that she was the daughter of Malinda Ann's sister Lucinda Henderson who married Shadrach Hale. But other records show Lucinda Henderson married George Hale, and didn't have a daughter named Lucinda. That's how these misinformations get passed along.

However, let's see what else we can about R. H. Rogers.

The Census of 1850 finds R. H. Rogers (age 54) in Natchitoches, Louisiana, as a farmer. His wife Lucinda is listed as well, she is age 37. And there is also a Henry Rogers, age 17. (Nothing indicates at this point if he is their son.)

The 1860 Census finds them in Oktibbeha, Mississippi where he is 53 and a farmer. Lucinda is the only other person in the household, and she's 45.

R. H. died probably in 1869 in Blount County, MS. Lucinda's death date and place are unknown.

But the daughter of Malinda Ann Henderson Rogers and Robert Rogers, Mary Katherine F. Rogers Gibson, lived a long life, until 1904.

I just have to share this wonderful photo of her when she was a matriarch, surrounded by descendants.



So we Rogers have a lot of Gibson cousins too!

1 comment:

  1. Ancestry tells me Mary Katherine Rogers Gibson is my first cousin 4 times removed.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.