description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

The letter from Micajah to Spencer C. Rogers

Here is a more legible copy of the letter, which unfortunately is in sections. But they are in order!

First I'll turn it upside down so you don't have to, to read the pointed finger P.S. at the top. My comments as editor are in italics. There will be some duplication as I pulled the copies from the original digital image (which is on Ancestry.) Please leave comments if you find alternative interpretations to my transcription efforts!


(Is there a name for the pointing finger symbol?)
"I think our Sabbath School will shortly give you an order for Sabbath School Books. I wrote to you some months ago but I suppose it was lost on the way."

The the beginning of the letter itself: Upper right:

Huntsville, Texas
14 Feby. 1866

S. C. Rogers Esq.
    Dear Borther. - Your very welcome letter of the 28 (unclear) comes
to hand by mail this morning. I wa truly glad to hear from you
after the terrible war through which our country has passed, but
thought it a little strange that you said nothing about your (?)
family, and whether the yankees left you amy property to Sustain
yourself. I am anxious (?) to know if you stood your ground
through out the war and whether they treated you as a friend
or an enemy. I am also anxious to know Something about
my only living child, my Son Wm L. and how he's getting
along, and how he fared during the war. I learn that
unhappy times yet exist in old Tennessee, which state is
my mother state and will always be dear to me. M(---?) 


that many union men are S-?-ing Secepion(?) man for having 
damages for wrongs perpetuated during the war, and that
in the Eastern portion of the State many Southern men do not
yet think it Safe to return home; party remor runs So high.
These are sad things if so, and if Governor Brownbery (?) is
fomenting these things, as reported, and encouraging these
unhappy lawuits, he is not th eman he should be he
lacks that Soul he Should have. And if he has any desires
from the prosperity(added above -)of the state he Should pour the oil of kindness on
the troubled waters in place of fomenting Strife and contentions (?)
"By gones Should be by gone" - and peace and fraternity
should be cultivated. It is (?) (above-) to be hoped that the good of both
parties may take a wise counsel and do what they can
to quiet the peope and restore good feeling once more, for
100 years will not restore the South to the prosperity that
existed before the war. The deed is done and it is the


.
---(repeated copy from above)

utmost folly to discuss the questions now. All both
north and South, but especially the South will feel
the ruin spread over them for many long years to come.


Page 2

I was at first bitterly opposed to Secession, on the grounds that
although we felt oppression's hand b..? heavily, we had
better bear the ills we knew than fly to those we could not
see - better have contested and claimed our rights in the
Halls of Legislation, then to have seceded. We would not have
suffered by encroachment in 100 years which we lost in 4 short
years - Be it so - we fought- we lost the blood stained fields
and our a...? ones, if honest, must say they found pluck in
the south, while pluck was of any avail, but numbers will
triumph over the weak.  We gallantly acknowledged ..men?..
were overpowered, - dutch and Irih immigration was more
than we had bargained for. And had we been taken back
cheerfully and promptly into this Old Union the break
might have been s---?-- healed. But no, magnanimity is wanting.
They who feel conscious of having committed untold injuries
are shy of their former adversary and feel selfish in holding
them at arms length. They have freed the Black race, and with
but with few disgraceful exceptions, a lasting injury has been inf-
...inflicted on them. All who had kind and good masters, who
consulted the interest of their slaves felt conscious they were consu-
lting their own best interests. Now no one is interested in taking
care for them and they must suffer greatly. They in my humble
opinion, before the war, were increasing faster than any portion
of the population of the U. S. That showed they were cared for
and their wants supplied. They will now decrease, and
disappear from the South faster than ever did the Red
Men of the Forest before the American People
I am, however happy to say that the f. m. c. have quietly(?)
in our region, made contracts and gone to work, but but not(?)
with that vim as when they were Slaves, for much.



now takes the place of coercion. They will gradually
decline and become a very degraded people and the result
will be that but few will have any thing to do with them.,
and then comes the winter of their discomfiture. The Freedman's
Bureau is to haten this catastrophe. If they are free, why
not let them make their own contracts without the agency of
any one? Whats past would now me aloof from from contracting


.page 3


with a freed man I could not bear the idea of an Agent
coming along months after the service was rendered in
good faith and paid for in the same spirit, and say
to me "Sir you have not paid this man enough for his
Services, you must pay so much more per month to him
instantly or I will order the Seizure of your property to make
it." All this too, when they are moving heaven and earth
to make the negro a voter. Not able to contract without
the Sanction of an Officer of the Freeman's Bureau, but
quits Sufficiently enlightened to vote judiciously. O Shame 
where is thy blush? If the north can carry their points
the South is forever a doomed people. Let me drop this
dark picture. Perhaps I am too gloomy.

.
(Hand pointing) You name the idea of writing a memoir of our
revered father. I wish it could be properly done, but I do
not know how I can aid much, as I have nothing written
upon the subject and memory at the age of 70 is too frail
to enable me to say scarcely any thing that would be interesting.
I could begin with the name of my Grandfather Henry Rogers
and give the names of my uncles and aunts.  Then my G. father
Spencer Clack and give the names of uncles and aunts, but
to show how little attention I have paid to genealogy, I will
write an instance. A young friend of mine, after I was a
married man, and children around me, went a long journey
expressly to see and converse with an aged Grand Father
he had never seen. When he returned he told me he did not
regret his visit, that he had found his G.F. though very aged,
a man of strong mind, who gave him much information

.and the genealogy of the family correctly for 100 years back.
I said, that itself is worth your trip. I began to think on a
new subject. I found I knew nothing of my ancestry for I had
never made it a Subject of inquiry. Our people had left East
of the Blue Ridge in Va. at an early day - The Rogers family
From Farquier County and the Clack family from Loudoun
County and thus the two families were cut off from all their
connection and only became acquainted when the arrived
in a wild unsettled region which afterward proved to be part of

.
Page 4
what is now Sevier County, East Tennessee, where civilization
began to assume that Shape.  I Some how or other had
minded that my G. M.'s maiden name was Mary Beavers.
And (?) there I met impenetrable darkness. I turned to see what
I could make of my other G. M.'s name, but had to my surprise
never heard her maiden name on the paternal side of his
house. I laughed to my self in the presence of my young friend
and told him he was far ahead of me in genealogy. When
next I saw my father I told him of this incident. He said
my young friend was very far ahead of him in that particular
-that he had crossed the Allegany when quite a lad with his
parents and knew but very little of the connection he had left
behind. We both consoled ourselves that we lived in a happy
country where "Every test had to Stand upon its own bottom(?)"
that ancestry could not avail us much - that if ever we did any-
thing worth of making its "footprints on the sands of time,"


it would have to be without ancestral aid. He, however, was
able to say his mother's maiden name was Elizabeth Lankford, (Sankford?)

.
.
and that his knowledge of his name ended. He had people "to
that brown farm where no traveller returns." I should be
glad to aid you but you see my means for information.
shoud you publish a memoir of our father I would like
to take as many copies for distribution as my limited means
will allow, for you must know that when this war did come
I had no hesitancy in saying on which side I stood.  All my
little means, or (?) so, was (?) in the Southern cause
and at the close I found all my finances in (?) Confederate
Bonds. I do not regret it. I did must do my duty as I honestly
believed, - And although I desire peace and prosperity to our
unhappy country and wish to spend the remainder of my life
as a Loyal Citizen under the Same circumstances I would
do the same thing over again. My health is very good for a
person of my age. I live with Thomas Gibbs who has his second wife.
She was a Miss Mary Blake from Fayetteville N.C. She is a good
lady. Nanny's two interesting children have never know the loss of
their natural mother. Happy and fortunate children. She has 3 of her
own, bright little fellows - has had (fun?)
Write me (freely?) if you can find time
} Your brother, (in Christ?) very scratchy signature
}(M. C. Rogers) (someone else's handwriting)

I wish I knew the provenance of this letter. Who kept it all these years? If it was sent to Spencer, and he wasn't living with any of his family, how did it get back into the ancestry files for him? And where is the original, if it still exists?


I like the little hand pointing on page 3, which brings out that Spencer must have written to Micajah as it says "You mentioned..."



And it also mentions that he had contact with his father Rev. Elijah Rogers and conversed briefly about their ancestry, to little help except that Elijah remember his mother as Elizabeth Lankford. Since Elijah died in 1841 in Sevier County, I think that conversation was perhaps in Micajah's memory rather than within the time he received the proposal of a memoir from Spencer. 



Micajah lived until 1873 and Spencer till 1886. It wasn't until much later that a historian did some research on the "Sketches Of Tennessee's Pioneer Baptist Preachers"... including Rev. Elijah Rogers. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.