description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Monday, March 16, 2020

Mary Ellen Rogers Randles

The third child born to Rev. Elijah Rogers and Katherine Clack Rogers was Mary Ellen Rogers, born in Sevier County, Tennessee on Sept. 24, 1799. Not many records usually exist for women from that time, but Mary Ellen was lucky to be part of families which had a lot of pride as their descendants wrote about them.  I've recently written blogs about her two older brothers, Robert H. Rogers, and my great times three grandfather Micajah Clack Rogers.

One descendant's writing shared this about the early families who settled in western North Carolina which became east Tennessee.
The Randles, Clacks, and Rogers came from Virginia about the same time.  A group marriage took place in a fort in 1791. Rhoda Clack married James Randles Sr., Elizabeth Randles married George Rogers, and Mary Randles married Raleigh Clack in 1791.  In 1794 Katherine Clack married Elijah Rogers. SOURCE: "The Saga of the Herd Family" by G. Ronald Herd.
Raleigh Clack was the son of Spencer and Mary Beavers Clack.  Katherine Clack Rogers was his sister.

George Rogers was the son of Henry Rogers and Elizabeth Langford Rogers, and the brother of Rev. Elijah Rogers.

Historians say the Randles, Clacks and Rogers all came to Tennessee (then North Carolina) at the same time, with the Hufaker family.  A letter indicates that Richard Randles (John Randle's grandfather) and his family came to the Sevier County area around the spring of 1786.

Mary Ellen Rogers married John (Jack or Jacky) Randles, the son of Rhoda Clack Randles (1776-1840) and James Randles (1768-1816) in Sevier County, TN in 1816.  John (Jack) Randles had served as a private in the War of 1812, as had Mary's two older brothers, Micajah and Robert Rogers.

By 1828 they had their first 6 children.
Then in the early 1830s they moved to Wayne County, Kentucky.  Then about 1837 they moved to Missouri, settling on the Niangua River in what was then Polk County, but now is Dallas County. John was a farmer in a bend of the river, and became the first county assessor after Dallas County was formed in 1841.  This information comes from "The Saga of the Herd Family by G. Ronald Herd," as shared on Ancestry by RosalieBennettChruma in 2015.

A bit of difference in Missouri's history was found on Wikipedia (which isn't always accurate either.) It says the county was originally called Niangua,in 1842, then renamed Dallas County in 1844.

Mary's last daughter (of her 8 children)  was born in 1840 in Missouri.  Though all of her children (listed at this time on Ancestry) lived to adulthood, three of them died before Mary did in 1869. Her husband only outlived her by 3 years.

I'm not sure who of the Randles was the ancestor of G. Ronald Herd.  If I have time, I may trace their tree. But for now I want to find out more about my Great Aunts and Uncles - the siblings of GGG Grandfather Micajah Rogers.




2 comments:

  1. Barbara, I have been stalking your blog for years now and should have taken a moment long before now to say Thank You for sharing your work. I've been digging into my roots for a long time now and like you, I love finding the stories behind the stats. I am also descended from the Rogers and Clack lines. Now, which Rogers? That is the question that has bugged me for almost 20 years. My 3rd ggrandfather was Robert Marshall Rogers/Rodgers and his father was Jesse Rogers and that's my dead end. DNA has been a help and a curse as my Rogers line and allied families practiced endogamy throwing DNA percentages completely out of whack.

    One of my biggest leads came after I discovered that Jesse and his wife Elizabeth Alderson Rogers are buried in a family plot in Iuka, Marion County, Illinois known now as Clack cemetery. My research into every person found buried there (a list can be found on the Kinmundy Historical Society website) confirmed for me that they are related in some way to 95% of the individuals buried there. Leading me to believe that after moving away from Maury County, Tenn. in 1852 due to legal issues with the Polk family, they ran to family. The question has always been--who's family? Rogers or Alderson*?

    Your research highlighting the Riggins, Clack and Rogers relationship is another little piece of the puzzle and I really am grateful to you for this bit of info.

    *Elijah McCarroll Clack 1808-1871 son of Sterling Clack 1759-1837 and husband of Myrum Catherine Alderson 1809-1879 is also buried there.

    Would you mind sharing your Ancestry username? I'd like to see what other connections we may share.

    Happy Hunting and get well soon!
    Sincerely,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Stacey. I'm always thrilled to meet a "cousin" of whatever level. I have 3 trees, as I mentioned on the top of this blog. They are all private at this time, sorry. But I think you can still see much of the information by looking at say, Elijah Rogers, or Spencer Clack. The records are shared between all ancestry sites, I think. You can contact me by email at blackmtnbarb AT gmail DOT com.

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.