description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Saturday, April 4, 2020

Great (times 4) Aunt Dialtha P. Rogers Mullendore (1810-1884)

I'm continuing to look at the siblings of Great times 3 Grandfather Micajah Clack Rogers (1795-1873).

Rev. Elijah and Katharine C. Rogers' next child was Caleb Butler Rogers, born in 1809. No more records about him, so he probably died young. His birth did get entered into the Rogers Family Bible however.

Next birth was Dialtha Perry Rogers, born on 11 Feb 1810. She married when 19 years old in 1829 to John Mullendore (1800-1889).

One record indicates 4 sons and 3 daughters: Lafayette, Wallace, Elijah, David, Amanda, Alice, Chrissie. This source is "Kinfolks: a genealogical and biographical record of Thomas and Elizabeth (Stuart) Harlee, Andrew and Agnes (Cade)" in Vol. 3, 7, Robinson Section, 7MC702 James Clack under Mullendore.

My Ancestry tree lists13 children...quite a few more than that "Kinfolks" version.

Abraham Layayette Mullendore, 1830-1914
Mary Amanda Mullendore Brown, 1832-1918
Dr. Elijah Leonidis Mullendore, 1835-1907
Robert Bruce Mullendore, 1838-1865
John Newton Mullendore, 1840-1841
Suzanne (Kate) Katherine Mullendore Montgomery, 1842-1904
William Wallace Mullendore, 1843-1899
Nancy Matilda Mullendore Catlett, 1844-1928
Dialtha H. Mullendore, 1845-1854
Jane Elizabeth Mullendore McCown, 1846-1926
Malvina Caroline Mullendore, 1848-1917
David R. Mullendore, 1851-1921
Sally Josephine Mullendore Massey, 1855-1940

Though several of them died in childhood, there were many more who married and had families of their own...which are distant cousins of mine. Some of them may well be living in Sevierville today.

Her great-grandson was J. A. Sharp, a historian of Sevierville, who I've written about before on this blog. He was the son of Suzanne (Kate) Katherine Mullendore Montgomery's daughter Alice Dialtha Montgomery Sharp.

John Mullendore and Dialtha P. Rogers share a memorial in Shiloh Memorial Cemetery, Pigeon Forge, TN. John died on Nov. 7, 1889. Dialtha died 20 Sept. 1884.





I'm sharing this with my Sepia Saturday friends this week. It's another case of not being able to match the lovely prompt photo, a young woman sitting for her portrait.  As Great (x4) Aunt Dialtha Rogers Mullendore raised so many children on a farm, I imagine she was glad to just sit down sometimes!


10 comments:

  1. Thirteen children? Oh my. I love the look of the cemetery monument. So often these obelisks are plain, so the palm and leaf patterns make this one unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd already replied, but it's gone. Yes, having a pattern on the obelisk is nicer than just the cube shape!

      Delete
  2. Dialtha - now that's a new name for me. Wonder what the story is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to find any name meaning for her. Many of Rev.. Elijah and Katharine Clack Rogers' children had Biblical names, but this is a head scratcher for me.

      Delete
  3. Yes, with 13 children, she was so very happy to sit down sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the older females might have helped around the house, while the oldest males might have helped on the farm, until they went off to be soldiers at least.

      Delete
  4. I have some large families in my forebears - 12 and 13 children - and all I can think is: "Oof". Three was enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Gail. I can't imagine having little ones in diapers for so many years.

      Delete
  5. Did many of the children stay in that part of Tennessee? Their monument bears a similarity to a lot of small town halls that often doubled as the town "opera house". I've been collecting vintage postcards of these buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently a lot of the younger children (especially daughters) seemed to stay in East Tennessee. I'm pretty sure Sevierville may have had nicely decorated town halls, but they also burned down several times. The Civil War also came through that area.

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.