description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Sunday, April 12, 2020

James Rogers (1760-1842)

Now I'm going to look closer at the siblings of Rev. Elijah Rogers (1774-1841)...other children of Henry Rogers Sr. (1741-1794) and Elizabeth Lankford Rogers (1743-1787).

Eldest in my Ancestry tree was James Rogers, born 2 July 1760 in Culpepper County, Virginia colony.

His 5 siblings were all born in different parts of Virginia apparently. I note that James Rogers also had different records of his life in different parts of both Virginia, Tennessee and Mississippi. I'm not sure they are all about the same James Rogers/Rodgers. The spelling varies in different areas also.

James married, and the name of his wife was probably Elizabeth. But there are a couple to choose between on various Ancestry family trees.  My tree had Mary Elizabeth Profitt Polly Brazil. But there was also a marriage record of James Rogers to Polly Brazil in 1832 when James was 72 years old.  I haven't found any record of his marriage to Mary Elizabeth Profitt, though the same record to Polly Brazil is used to substantiate the Mary Elizabeth Profitt marriage to James.  Very strange. And my tree had combined the two names, which I think is unlikely.

There's also a record on 20 Dec 1790, in Greene County TN, of Elizabeth Hays marrying James Rodgers.

My DAR member cousin has only Elizabeth Hays as James Rogers/Rodgers wife. So once again I'm going to remove someone from my tree, but her statistics will remain in my files. Goodbye Mary Elizabeth Profitt. But not Polly Brazil! I have a record of her marrying a James Rogers in 1790. (And of course it could have been a grandson of our James by then, but I honestly can't find one.)

Oh shucks. The records of Elizabeth Hayes are of her marriage to James Frederick Rodgers, born in 1773. Not one born in 1760 who served in the Revolutionary war, as his grave marker indicates, including a birth date. Elizabeth Hayes and her James had many children, but in Alabama, and not including one son that I think is definitely his, Joseph Larkin Rogers. So at this point, I don't think Henry's oldest son, James ever married Elizabeth Hayes either.

For now, I have named the mother of his 2 children "Elizabeth unknown Rogers." 

There's a memorial marker for James Rodgers, with the dates I'm using, also giving him credit for being in the Virginia Company in the Revolutionary War.  This grave marker is in Union Methodist Church Cemetery in Plantersville, Lee County, MS. Lee County is right next to Monroe County MS, which is the place he died.



Only one son is included in the information for this marker, named Joseph Larkin Rogers, who is also buried in this cemetery. But in actuality, James Rodgers isn't buried there. The cemetery was established in 1855, about 13 years after James died. So it's just a memorial marker.



I'm going to look at his son Joseph Larkin Rogers, who went by Larkin. He was also a farmer.  Next post!




3 comments:

  1. Love that you are doing your geneology. My mom has done ours all the way back to the 1200's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for keeping me honest, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took out the mention about the other headstone in Vicksburg, since it wasn't really designated that it was this James.

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.