description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Martha Rogers Cannon (1770-1844)

Mary, Mary, quite contrary.
How does your graden grow?

And for the last some-odd years or so, Mary Rogers (1769-1857) was listed as my Great times 4 grandfather's sister. But when I checked for her statistics with "hints" on Ancestry, I found her parents weren't Henry Rogers (1741-1794) and Elizabeth Lankford Rogers (1743-1787).  They were James (1742-1828) and another mother Rogers. So I won't be sharing about this Mary Rogers Casey Dunn.

Who is next on the list of siblings of Rev. Elijah Rogers (1774-1841) - the children of Henry Rogers (1741-1794) and Elizabeth Lankford Rogers (1743-1787)?  These were my great times five grandparents, born in Virginia, who relocated to the wilds of Tennessee, in Sevier County, before either became a state or county.

Martha Rogers Cannon (1770-1844) is next on the list of children born to the Rogers household in Virginia, and who then moved with her parents around 1780-90 to Tennessee. In 1791 she married James Cannon (1759-1832). He is on the list of early Sevier County settlers provided by the Sevier County Historical Association. 

But he has some confusing entries on his Ancestry information. It's possible he married to another Martha in 1780 in Cocke County TN, and her maiden name was unknown. They had a child, Mary Catherine Cannon (1786-1872.) We are pretty sure James Cannon didn't marry Martha Rogers until 1791, because she would have only been 10 years old in 1780.

Now this is the way these facts are given on Ancestry. And to turn them into a narrative is rather strange, because the dates just don't add up. But I don't have any way to know which are wrong in these listings. Most of them don't have records to substantiate them. I hate to pass along misinformation.

When I started to investigate the family on Ancestry, James Cannon and Martha Rogers Cannon had a daughter, Sarah Cannon (1789-1857) born in 1789 in Virginia.  When I looked further at this Sarah Cannon's details, she married someone named Wilson, and on her life details when she died, her parents weren't given as James and Martha Rogers Cannon at all...her descendants think she was Sarah Boone Wilson, born in North Carolina.

So I've done a snip-snip and removed her from my tree, though she still is listed on the list of ancestors...but not connected to the George Rogers tree any more. It may be there was a daughter named Sarah Cannon, who didn't marry Mr. Wilson, and then I'll add her with correct information onto my family tree

So let's look a bit more at Martha Rogers Cannon... who married James Cannon in 1791 in Sevier County TN. That fits a chronological scheme that is logical.  Their children may or may not have been the ones on my tree...starting with

Dicy P. Cannon (1799-1860), born in Virginia in 1799 (yes that's what it says on the trees)
James Cannon (1800-1842) born in Sevier County TN
William Cannon (1802-1880) born in Sevier County TN
Martha Susan Cannon (1804-1864) born in Sevier County TN
John R. Cannon (1808-1860) Sevier birth
Rebecca Cannon (1809-1844) Sevier
 Alexander E. Cannon (1810-1870) Sevier,
 Jackson Cannon (1812-?) Sevier County

James Cannon has a land grant from Tennessee dated 19 Jun 1810. So if he had served in a war, it would have been the Revolutionary War probably.


In case that's a bit hard to read, there was a descendant over on Ancestry who put a map of Sevier County available for James Cannon as well.


Notes that were included with the above map:
"FRENCH BROAD RIVER & LITTLE PIGEON: I cropped and enlarged the map that ___posted, & I highlighted in blue the French Broad River across the north part of the map, and the Little Pigeon Creek running perpendicular to it. I also highlighted in red the word "Sevierville" at the bottom or south...The area shown on this map is roughly some ___miles SE of Knoxville. The key to this map, which is cut off on this cropped enlargement states that the map "principally dates from 1806-07, but later land owners' names were added from 1824-30, where they did not interfere with those prior. "...Although names on map detail were hard to read, my transcription follows (caution-need to confirm with actual deeds/surveys). This map detail was of special interest to me because one of the "23 Moore Mentions" in the 1807-08 land grants south of Broad was a JOHN MOORE who had 210 acres (grant #951) on the west fork of this same Pigeon River, which he assigned to James CANNON, as I had noticed two CANNON's on this map detail: (1) John CANNON ( 114A) and (2) Wm. CANNON (175A). Other names on this attached map detail included: ANDROS, Prior (190A); BAER, Robert (81A); BARFILS, James (131A); BLAIR, Sam (137A); BRYAN, Peter(110A); CALVERT, Iram (167A); CALVERT, Edward (1146A); CLACK, Spencer (120A), CONGLITON, Nobert (97A); CROW, Robert, 90A; CROW, Latah (90A); HENDERSON, Wm. (100A); HENDERSON, 120A; HILL, John (477A) ;HUFF, Jacob (147A); KERR, Robert (147A);KERR, Robert (81A)*; MASSINGILL, Wm (140A); MITCHEL, Wm (100A); PITSER, Ha(_____A), ROGERS, Jonah (__A); TIPTON, Meshic (141A); WILSON, Alexander, 147A; UNKNOWN, William (41A)." 
Source of above comment is Ancestry member C. Larsen 828. I've added the underlined people who have relations to my ancestry. I've never heard of a Jonah Rogers, so that name was surprising.

However, looking at the map I can see next to Spencer Clack's property on the French Broad River, Elijah Rogers has a large tract of land (my great times 4 grandfather.) Spencer Clack (1746-1832) was Elijah's father-in-law, so he would be my great times 5 grandfather. The island in the river designated as McCroskey (something) is still known as McCroskey Island, upon which the water treatment plant for Sevierville is now located. I drove there last year, and didn't realize I was on a road traveling where my ancestors had lived. That gives me a chill! It could be a sewage treatment plant, but did have those big pipes running to and fro, and vats. I took a couple of pictures, but there wasn't a sign indicting what it was.

 McCroskey Island Road

 Bridge over Little Pigeon River

 Big pipe on bridge over Little Pigeon River

Whatever treatment facility is on McCroskey Island. A McCroskey married one of Elijah Rogers' daughters, so they are cousins.

I digress...I'm old and I think I'm entitled to do so.

Martha's husband, James Cannon, died 13 Dec 1832 in Sevier County TN

Back to Martha Rogers Cannon. She apparently died after 19 Feb 1844 in Sevier County TN. Whoever gave that date to my Ancestry records must have had her mentioned in some legal document or another, but they forgot to add it to the date. We don't know where she was buried.

There's a link to other families named Cannon, and going back into the Virginia families named Kennon. But it's pretty confusing!
.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.