description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, April 10, 2020

Rev. Elijah Rogers' siblings

Just now I've looked to see who else was in the "patriarch's" family, children of Henry Rogers, Sr. (1741-1794) and his wife Elizabeth Lankford Rogers (1743-1787).

First I'll just list them in order, with dates, as they stand on my Ancestry tree. These could change as I look at hints on my tree, which often happens as I find any records. But going this far back has limitations, especially for a family that originated in Virginia, and most of whom moved into western North Carolina which became east Tennessee in their lifetimes.

James Rogers (1760–1842)

BIRTH 2 JULY 1760  Culpepper, Virginia

DEATH 1842  Monroe, Mississippi


George Rogers (1764-1858)

BIRTH 6 FEB 1764  Somerville, Fauquier, Virginia

DEATH 18 NOV 1858  Sinking Creek, Wayne, Kentucky


Bathsheba Rogers Amonette (1764-unknown)

BIRTH 1765  Virginia

DEATH Washington Co Tenn


Josiah Rogers (1766-1834)

BIRTH 1766  Franklin, Virginia

DEATH 12 AUG 1834  Sevierville, Sevier County, Tennessee


Henry Rogers, Jr. (1767-1841)

BIRTH 1767  Fauquier, Virginia

DEATH 11 MAY 1841  Sevierville, Sevier, Tennessee

Martha Rogers Cannon (1770-1844)

BIRTH 1770  Virginia

DEATH 1844  Sevier, Tennessee


Elijah Rogers, Rev. (774-18421)

BIRTH MAY 1774  Fauquier, Virginia

DEATH 11 MAY 1841  Sevierville, Sevier, Tennessee
*my great times 4 grandfather

Ah ha, as I read through these aunts and uncles, as well as Rev. Elijah Rogers, I found some startling information on Henry Rogers, Jr.  The tree as it stood when I started looking at it, gave him as wife, Catharine Clack Rogers, who was the wife of Rev. Elijah Rogers. Of course his wife could have been  another woman, who I think was mixed up as to whether she was Rev. Elijah's wife Catharine, or another woman named Beulah Fairfax or Rhoda Clack. And which record was used to cite her name as some combination and as Henry Jr.s wife? An application to Sons of the American Revolution...giving Rev. Elijah Rogers and his father Henry Sr. It doesn't even say Henry was married to Catherine. But with our web ability strained today, I can't even read the original over on Ancestry. I won't be able to research this mistake, because I've removed Henry Jr. from my family tree.

And the Ancestry trees that name her as Henry's wife, also give Henry and Beulah four of Elijah and Catharine's children! There they are, which is totally incorrect. 

And the worst part of the misleading information on Henry Jr.s name, is giving him the same date of death as Rev. Elijah Rogers, May 11, 1841. Something is just not right here!

My cousin, Patricia Rogers, is a member of the DAR, Daughters of the American Revolution. I just checked her tree, and Henry Jr. doesn't have any wife or children listed. Oh, indeed, when I looked a second time, there isn't even a son of Henry Sr. named Henry Jr. She must be checking the same things I am today!

I will share the typed copy from the Rogers Family Bible, transcribed by my grandfather, George E. Rogers, Sr. 

OK...I found that it only indicates Rev. Elijah married to Catharine Clack Rogers...and it doesn't include any of Rev. Elijah's siblings. So these were added to Ancestry from another source. 

And I also noted that a cousin of my grandfather (who still lived in Sevier County TN) was the source of some of the details that my grandfather typed up for his sons. Also many of the details that were included came from a genealogist who was hired to look into our ancestors. Nothing wrong with that, if only she had given her source materials. The ones that are cited from "Virkus" are dependent upon ...wait for it... the family trees submitted by descendants so they could be part of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR.) I've often found mistakes in these entries.

For now, I will go with my cousin and move poor Henry Jr. into a questionable status. Rather than deleting him, I'm just removing him as a child of Henry Sr. and his wife.

I love looking for more information, and finding things I may have forgotten over the years. Who knows...






My grandfather mentioned the Rogers Family Bible had been with his cousin Myron Ross. I know they visited sometimes. But I believe the last I know of the possession of the Bible was another cousin, a Gibbs I think. 

2 comments:

  1. I also have those pages. I have also wondered who has the actual Roger Bible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Poppy (George Rogers Sr.) wrote that Luteola Gibbs Hawley had done the ancestry research with a genealogist, and might have had the family Bible at that time. I haven't looked at the correspondence in years, so I can't say that's for sure. She lived from 1878-1976...pretty amazing! And I just realized I need to use the tag for James Rogers (1760-1842) with his dates included, so he doesn't get confused with your father, James Rogers!

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.