description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Contacting the spirits when facing this election

I want to tell you a bit about my great times three grandfather, William Lewis Booth. He was the grandfather of my great grandmother, Eugenia Booth.

I just found two obituaries for him, when he died at age 76 in 1894, in Hillsboro, Hill County Texas.

He had been an attorney, and became a Colonel during the Civil War, for the Confederacy. He had been one of the early settlers of the Hillsboro, Hil County Texas, and helped in laying it out. He was a county judge at one time during reconstruction, and was the chairman of the Republican county executive committee. 

"In religious belief," the obit says, "he was a Spiritualist. He was president of the Spiritualist association of Texas during the life of that association."

"The burial was conducted by Rev. J. D. Shaw of Waco."

Incidentally, Waco is about 35 miles from Hillsboro Texas. It may be assumed that the only Spiritualist Reverend nearby was J. D. Shaw. 

Spiritualists were the people who in all seriousness held seances and believed they could "contact the spirits of the dearly departed."  Col. Booth had obviously been high ranking in that association.

Col. Booth had been born in the area of New York state where many religious revivals were held, leading to various new religions, including Moromonism, which is not related to the Spiritualism movement that also had roots in that area. Spiritualism has recognition as a religion, but has a reputation that is somewhat tainted by nefarious activities of mediums who played upon the emotions of rich mourners to make money. There are now various principals which serious Spiritualists follow.

Since I'm not a Spiritualist, but have an open mind regarding spirits of "dearly departed" I think Col. Booth would be a good ancestor to add to my list of those I'm inviting to give support while Halloween (Samhain) offers the thinning of the veil between the worlds. I would appreciate his spirit giving gravity to the many legal quandaries that exist as a result of the current President of our country.

So if his spirit should come knocking, or otherwise make himself known to me, I will be curious what he thinks of the current Republican situation. And I hope he will be ok with me being a Democrat. Many of my cousins belong to the GOP.

The upcoming election gives me significant pause to consider the ways various players will react to who the winners are. I am positive that all the votes will be counted. And I hope that everyone who can, will have cast a vote.





2 comments:

  1. I hope you're right about all votes will be counted. I am open to my dear departed also. We observe el dia de los muertos this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful...I've got so many relations that I've invited to help us, we're going to have quite a crowd! Dia de los Muertos is so life affirming, a celebration of the ancestors! I haven't been part of the visitation to any of my relatives because none are buried around here...though I could really dance on my relatives graves in some cemeteries in Texas! Saying All The Votes Will Be Counted is kind of an affirmation. I am having a positive attitude as I also believe that helps on a certain level.

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.