description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Saturday, October 24, 2020

"In the next room"

She just went upstairs.  Or in the next room.
But there's still a feeling of loss when I return to conscious daily life.

Before I woke this morning I dreamed I was having coffee with my own mother, who's been gone about 20 years.  We chatted as if we were really sitting at a table, no drama, no messages from on high. I asked how Dad was doing, what was he up to these days. "Oh, he's puttering around in his workshop."  We talked about things like I do with my friends, what books have you read? We had always avoided the subject of any medical things since she was a Christian Scientist.  But there were pets, TV shows, and plants...and the grandchildren.  Then she was gone.  And I woke up and thought, she'd just gone back in the next room.

This dream was 2 years ago, and I still have those feelings about my parents.

There was such comfort knowing she was there, loving me still in her own way, which was pretty difficult between us often.  I look in the mirror at this old woman and wonder that my own mother  recognized me the last time I visited her, years before she died.  My own old woman face looks to see if there's any of my sister in there too. Perhaps.

I have spent many hours working on ancestry stories here at the computer.  Honoring those who's DNA flows through me, and now another person who shares it has gone into that other room. 

We love those we share blood and bones with.  We try to understand them. 



My mother who worked an 8 hour job, then came home and fixed dinner and did our laundry and the house cleaning until we were teenagers, and did all the shopping. My father worked the same hours and came home and read the newspaper, and sometimes fixed cars, or mowed grass, or did carpentry...men's work around a home.

Mataley before she married my father.


2 comments:

  1. My mother died almost 40 years ago. Last night I dreamed that someone was knocking on the door and it was her! We hugged and I said "This is real, it's not a dream!" But it was a dream. It was so real. I don't remember any dreams of my mother that were so real as that hug was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kristin...that's exactly how my dream experience was! Thanks so much for letting me know about yours. I get goose bumps right now thinking of our mother's in our dreams. Who says we have the only reality in these bodies! Many religions say otherwise.

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.