description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Monday, April 11, 2022

I finally found me

 Lots of people (around my age) are having a good time (I was going to say fun, but it's more the emotion of satisfaction) finding themselves in the 1950 Census, which has recently been published.

I thank Amy Johnson Crow for publishing some YouTube videos giving great short cuts to finding one's ancestry in the 1950 Census. I would never have known to use Stevemorse.org to find information about it. I just made notes from the video, and followed them step by step.

This is because Ancestry doesn't have the 1950 Census linked to our various relations yet.

So I started out assuming I'd be in St. Louis, because that's the year we moved there. I even remembered our address, so that helped. And lots of people were not at home on that street. As well as our house number which I remembered wasn't listed. Drat.

Then I thought of my grandparents in Houston TX, who lived most of their lives on Brockton...and I didn't remember the number. After finding that street on the enumerator district (ED) I searched and searched for them, to no avail.

Another day, I finally thought of my friend down the street who I used to roller skate with, Katherine Hodnutt. Don't ask me why I knew her name, but I also remembered living on Cumberland in Houston before moving. Then I put two and twelve together and realized we moved after school was out, and the census was taken everywhere in April.

And so I found Cumberland, looked on Google Maps to see cross streets, and then found the ED for where we lived. Fortunately it was a pretty short street. And as I looked through the many pages for that ED, I was grateful that the census taker had listed the street names in tiny letters on each page.


I first found the Hodnutts, and there was Katherine, age 10! Wow, I didn't remember she was older than me.

And two houses down were the Rogers. It was a simple entry for the four person household. Dad worked and mom was at home with two kids.

There may be special questions that were asked of Mom, who I assume was giving info for the family. I don't know for sure which answers below referred to our family, because the numbering system is vague.

Sorry the saved page ended up blurred. I can try a screen save the next time I chase it down again!

2 comments:

  1. The number on the little stick out tabs will match one of the numbers below. LIke 9 and 9. Good luck and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, Barb! And yes, I would use the word "fun" because it sure is :-) Having found myself, my parents and grandparents (both sets) I am now off to look for collateral relatives and childhood friends and classmates. I've already surprised one friend with her family's listing. Hope to surprise a few more :-)

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.