description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, April 20, 2018

Groups of people - the Rogers in the 30s

I just found an interesting old photo of my family.

This photo is a bit different than our usual full length ones (why did they think we had to see the shoes someone was wearing, I wonder!)

Pictured front, grandmother Ada Swasey Rogers, then two women behind her on left is Donah V. Pelphry Rogers, and on right, my mother, Mataley Mozelle Munhall Rogers...and the three men in the back are on l. Alex Rogers, then my dad George Rogers Jr, then on r, George Rogers Sr., my grandfather  But they really enjoyed this set-up, where my dad must be standing on something, and Ada (Gummy) is leaning down to get short enough for the camera.  And who do you think took it?

Another shot with same scenery, and this one includes information which we could have guessed, a Christmas gathering.  That snowman kind of helps.  Here my mother, Mataley, Ada (Gummy) and Aunt Sissy (Donah V.)

Same outfits, but now the happy family is standing out by the road.  My dad George Jr, Mataley my mom, Gummy Ada, and George Sr, Poppy.


My parents Mataley and George Rogers,  had been married about 1 month for this photo, with Gummy (Ada Rogers) approving.


And in 1938 there is another Christmas gathering.  Small tree, but these were all adults.  Men are from l. to r, George Jr, Alex, Chauncey, James, and George Sr (Poppy).  Women are l to r, Mataley, Donah V (Sissy) and Ada Rogers (Gummy.)

And assuming it's the same house it is now identified, 400 E. Myrtle.  Of course I'm guessing it's San Antonio, because that's where my parents met.  Aunt Sissy and Uncle Alex must have driven from Houston, where they were living (according to the census reports.) They had married in Oklahamo in 1933, then lived Houston by 1935.

 And thanks to Google, here is 400 E. Myrtle St. in San Antonio in 2016.

The lot to the right had a house demolished between 2011 (there's a photo of the neighborhood then) and 2016.  And wait till you see what is next door on the left!


I wonder if that building was built with 6 apartments in mind...I kind of think so.  Glad my grandparents didn't see it, the way it dwarfed their sweet little cottage.  I think it's nice that a ramp has been built for someone with a wheelchair.  But unfortunately, that shadowy thing outside the fence on the far right, is a pile of furniture including a mattress and a wood chair.  Google is fun to go up and down the street.  And how the trees have changed since 1937!



Another group of people, this time men concentrating on a chess game, for Sepia Saturday this week!

10 comments:

  1. I don't think your dad was standing on anything in that first photo - he simply is that tall which is evident in the other photos which include him. The cottage in San Antonio with the ramp out front brought back memories 14 years ago when we were getting ready to bring our disabled (due to a boating accident)daughter home from a hospital for the first time in 6 months and thought we were going to have to build a ramp in front of our house for her. At the last minute, however, (few days before her release) her physical therapists worked on getting her proficient enough on stairs so she could handle the 6 steps up to our front porch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail. My dad was just 6 feet tall, so that gives you an idea that everyone else was pretty short then. Gummy was definitely bending down in the first pic though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and somehow I think the guys came up with a timer for the camera, as well as some kind of tripod...because they are all in all the pics! Those Rogers fellows loved their cameras.

      Delete
  3. Some great old photographs - and I love the snowman, sneaking his way into the photos. I like the landscape orientation for a change, it helps keen the focus of attention on the faces - as you say, why do we want the shoes all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are wonderful. I hadn't seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone, except the snowman, seems dressed in very formal wear, which wouldn't be the style for a similar occasion today. I wonder if Google engineers expected people to use the street view as a kind of memory lane telescope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always like looking at photos with that kind of decorative border. They look nice and usually have some names of a processor in the corner. I see your first group says San Antonio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A set of lovely family photos! I particularly love the one of your beaming newly-wed parents. Also great to have the contemporary photo of the house and its surroundings for comparison to the vintage pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really nice family photos. I was wondering where they were in short sleeves for Christmas. I'm just down the road in Austin, so I know all about holidays with the air conditioner on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how intimate & relaxed they all look in each others company. The first photo especially!They are almost inviting the viewer to jump in & join them!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.