description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Who was his wife? Martha who married John Marston.

I've been sharing about the Marston family from early settlement in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

We had Martha Marston who married Samuel Granger, my 6th great grandparents (posted about HERE)

Martha's father Jacob Marston was also mentioned, as having moved from New Hampshire to Massachusetts.

His father was John Marston (1630-1708) who had been born in Ormsby, Norfolk, England on June 20.  His wife was named Martha, but different records give her different maiden names, so at this date I'm not sure who her family of origin were.

He arrived from England in Massachusetts in 1641. At this point the birth date from various marriage records might not be accurate either, especially since one marriage record says he was born in 1625. That would make his sailing date a bit more realistic, than being just 11 years old. (Record of Arrival: U.S. and Canada, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s, Source Pub. code 6435.60, page 18, Source bibliography, Paige, Lucius R, List of Freemen of Massachusetts, 1630-1691. Baltimore: Clearfield Co, 202.)

There are 3 records of John Marston's marriage on Jan. 15, 1652 to Martha (?Fulton/Moulton/Fuller).

According to US and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900, published in 2004, (source number 1069.000, Submitter Code: SAK) John Marston (b. 1630) married Martha Moulton (b. 1652). Since he and Martha, his wife, started having children in 1653, it's unlikely that her being 1 year old would have made that possible!

But there are more than one John Marston who married in that same source...about 11 of them.  Another one has a John Marston, born in 1625, who married Martha Fuller in 1652, in New Hampshire.  It sounds pretty likely to me to be the couple who are my ancestors. (Source number 3367.000, submitter Code:GRG)

But back to that first source (New England Marriages Prior to 1700) and that list (very similar, many John Marstons) has him born in 1630, married 15 Jan. 1652 to Martha Marston, on the index, but the actual citation says "?Moulton/Fulton" and also says her death date was 1723, ae 87.

Yep, there's no knowing at this point for sure, who her parents were, Moulton, Fulton or Fuller.  So she's an end of the line for now.  I could put one set of parents into my tree and see what comes up, but I won't leave them there to muddy the waters which are already sluggish.

I just checked on John Marston on Ancestry, and found parents for him, which hadn't appeared on my tree until tonight when I was playing with "hints" (which all kinds of people have attached to their place on my trees.)  So now I've got William and Sarah Goody Marston as his parents, and he has siblings who also were born in England and died in Rockingham County NH, which is a good link for me.  He probably arrived in America with family members.  Now I can start looking at the sources given for his brothers (and maybe sisters.)

So I think this deserves another post, don't you?











No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.