description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Monday, August 20, 2018

More of Spencer Clack's siblings...John Sterling Clack

John Sterling Clack 1758-1798

Well, there appears to be some hanky panky going on. He's got 3 wives listed, and the first one was still alive when he married the third.  She also is mother to a whole lot of children that were born where he never lived that I know of.  One John Sterling who served in the Revolutionary War had a wife (or maybe daughter) named Mary who applied for his pension in Connecticut.  I don't think I'll consider her married to my John Sterling of VA and TN.

He was in the Revolutionary War.  That much is known.  Maybe he went by Sterling as well as John Clack.

There were probably 2 men, both of whom had families of Clack children.  Only one was brother to Spencer Clack of Sevierville.

One of them lived until 1831.
One of them died in 1798

One of them married Sarah Sally Standifer, and died in Pulaski, Giles County, TN.

One of them married Ann Eppes Walker and remained in VA where he died in 1798.

I can't keep them separate yet.  So many Ancestry Trees name one or the other wife, one or the other date and place of death.

Here are some interesting notes from a Family Chronicle, probably written in 1928 by a 84 year old grandson of the John Sterling Clack of Pulaski, Giles County, TN.  It was entered into Ancestry trees by "jgbg2016, Trophy Club, Denton TX in Jan 2017.  I don't know when or where it was published.

But based on this information, I'm going to remove Anne Eppes Walker as being married to our John Sterling.  It's not likely that our John had a wife and children in VA while being in Giles County TN.  It's a long ways away.

...this is the largest that the photos will enlarge.  I am saving here pages 649-652, and combined 655-56.




The author interviewed Col Spencer D. Clack (not Hon Lt. Spencer Clack) but a grandson of John Sterling Clack.

The above information includes why he has been so hard to flesh out. Pulaski, Giles County, TN is the home of the original Klu Klux Klan.  And John's son and grandson apparently were active members.

I'm so sorry, but every family has this kind of branch.  It has been cut off apparently by some of my relatives...perhaps cousins who just took the information out, left me wondering what ever happened to those children.  Now I know why.  These poor befuddled and racist men had fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War, and for them the war was continuing.  I do not feel sorry for them.  They have been misled and committed atrocities against black people too numerous to list.  Indeed, I dare say they haven't ever been written down.  The KKK knows how it is a evil monster, and so hides from public view.












2 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Stephanie Clack , I do have the Clack from Sevier County if your interested. Lt. Spencer Clack was my 5 th grandfather I decend from his son Rawleigh Clack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Stephanie
    I have traced back and have found that Lt. Spencer Clack is my 6th GG. Martha Clack, Rawleigh's sister, is whom I descend from. Would love to share info with and get to know you.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.