description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Sunday, August 15, 2021

11 children of Rev. John Rogers the Martyr

Next on my list is Philip Rogers (1547 (Wittenberg Ger.) - 1628 Scotland)  He apparently married Joan or Jane Stafford in 1591. We have no record of their children. So he quite probably was a real man...and shall remain on the list.

I did just notice on another tree the description (but not the actual text unfortunately) of Fox's record of John the Martyr, with a list of the children alive at the time of his death. So the two who predeceased him wouldn't be part of the 11 count, I'm guessing. Nothing like another piece of evidence that perhaps is somewhere out there.

Starting from my list, the next child born would have been Augustine Rogers, (1550 London - 1628 London. Though he does sound very plausible for a son of Rev. John he has no evidence on other trees, nor a definite date of death. One other tree states he died 21 Apr 1618 at St. Mary Aldermary, London. There was no marriage nor children. But I can update my entry on Ancestry with the new date and place of death for him.

Elizabeth Rogers (1549 Dorset Eng - 14 April 1634 London Eng) married James Procter in 1575. She is not the Elizabeth Rogers who married Thomas Eyre...as that Elizabeth was daughter of John Rogers, Esq, Our Rev. John was never described that way. If she was known as daughter of Rev. John Rogers, it's certain they would have said "the Martyr."

The above excerpt shows description of John Rogers, Esq., of Poole, and his daughter Elizabeth (not on my tree)

Rev. John's daughter, Elizabeth Rogers' husband, James Procter is listed with some variable dates of birth from 1549-1556. Their marriage did take place in 1575. He has been described as the Chancellor of Salisbury. He died between 1581 and 1642. That's quite a wide range. 

And Elizabeth Rogers Procter has other dates for her life, being born in 1553 rather than 1549, and dying on 24 Dec. 1612. It's no wonder that it's difficult to keep track. The other Elizabeth Rogers who married Thomas Eyre does appear in my tree after the Eyres came to America. Small world!

My next listed child was Richard Rogers (29 June 1551- 21 April 1618) He was born in Chelmsford, Essex, Eng, and died in Wethersfield, Essex, Eng. 

There were 3 other trees for Richard Rogers, but the parents were wrong...mother being Agnes Carter, or father being Richard, or John married to Agnes Carter. That's too bad because that Richard was a Rev. and even has a portrait painting of himself, as well as 2 wives and a dozen or more children. I'm back to square one as they say.

I'm not even sure this Richard Rogers is the son of Rev. John and Adryan...nor died in Wethersfield, which is where the noteworthy Rev. Richard Rogers, son of Richard (not Rev. John) died. I'm pretty sure our Richard didn't have all those children, nor a wife named Barbara Rogers!

So I have a Richard, not the Rev. Rogers without much detail as to his life, because I'm pretty sure all the dates I do have belong to the Rev.

Did Rev. John and Adryan have a son also named Richard? I'll leave him on the tree for now, but it would have been nice to have details about his life.

Hester Rogers is the last child on my list. Born in 1555 in London, she supposedly died there also in 1659. That's a bit longer than a century. So folks, let's change some of those numbers so she is more believable! And there was an almost clearly written page of clergy listing the deaths and baptisms in 1697, where a son named Solomon was buried, son of Henry and Hester Ball. Also I found another Ancestry tree (Rogers and Bakers) which gave Hester's date of death at a more believable 24 June 1626. So that's the preferred date on my tree now.

Of all 13 children, 2 had died before their father. So that would let these 11 be alive at the time of his death in 1555. I've finished this task. Of course in a year, or a month, something new may come to light which will change everything. This may be history, but there's a sense of piecing it together like an archaeologists dig. As you've already noticed, the dates belonging to many of these children changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.