description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Oops, maybe I've got the wrong relatives here...

Rev. John Rogers, the Martyr. (1507-1555) was burned at the stake by Queen Mary, the Catholic.  He is noted as the first that she had burned. He also is known for having translated the Bible into English for the first time, under a pseudonym of Thomas Matthew. 



He had 11 children, and the last one was born while he was in prison, according to an early biography by Fox (probably the first one.) Another biography lists the 11 children by name.


But on my current (soon to need a revision I think) Ancestry chart, I've got these 13 children of John and Adrian Pratt Rogers:

Susanna or Susan Rogers Short (1527-1565)
Daniel Rogers, Esq. (1538-1590)
Sir John Randolph Rogers , Baronet, "Proctor of Civil War" (1538-1639) (Warning, this is not a lifetime that people would have at that time!! But see my research below.)
Ambrose Rogers, (1540-1591)
Thomas  Rogers (1540-1561)
Samuel Rogers (1541-1547)
Ray Barnaby Rogers (1543-1564)
Bernard Fitz Rogers (1543-1609)
Marye Rogers (1544-1553)
Phillip Rogers (1547-1564)
Augustine Rogers (1550-1628)
Richard Rogers (1551-1618)
Elizabeth Rogers (1553-1634)

You may notice first that none of these children were born in 1555, at the time their father had been incarcerated by Queen Mary. But wait...he was put in prison in 1553/4. All dates are within the 2 years that are represented by the use of the new year occurring in March at that time. So it's possible that Elizabeth was born while he was in prison.

Secondly I note that Samuel and Marye died before 1553/4 and certainly before Rev. John was burned at the stake.

So my list needs to delete two people completely. And then I need to figure out how to add possibly
Augustine and Hester. This is where it becomes very difficult.

So I now will spend the rest of the day looking at what details Ancestry does have about each of these (perhaps) ancestors. If I find more strange dates, I will change my listings. 

One: Susanna/Susan Rogers Short of Belgium is listed on 3 different trees as marrying Mr. Ayers...but he was clearly married to Susan Rogers, daughter of John Rogers an attorney. Surely they wouldn't have confused her father with a martyr. She probably married a Mr. John Short. Nothing more gives me information about her. I'm not even willing to change the dates that are on my tree, to those of Susan Rogers Ayers (1539-1630).

Two: Daniel Rogers, Esq. has a lot of information listed about him, and his descendants. There's no doubt that he was as he is described. He married a German woman, Susan Yetsweirt, and they had only two children in England...the last born after he had died and even named "Posthumia." Though there is a wonderful document of his will available, I am unable to read the writing of 1580.


Three: Sir John Rogers, Baronet "Procter of Civil Law" has exact dates of birth (21 Nov 1538) and death (18 Oct 1601)...a much more believable lifetime than I had originally.  His wife, Lady Mary Leete (1541-1579) is confirmed as daughter of William Leete, and they had five children, including Thomas Rogers who was to go to America on the Mayflower. (Actually I've seen the Mayflower Thomas listed as an ancestor in another Rogers family.) But I'll give Sir. John his place in the Martyr's family...even if Thomas his son may not have been the adventurer on the Mayflower. I am also changing the date of his death to the 3 July 1601 on my tree.

Four: Ambrose Rogers (1540-1591) comes up on two other trees as being married to Mary Leete also. And his dates include complete birth (21 Nov 1538) and death (3 July 1601). Notice the same birth and death dates as Sir John? Not only the same birth and death, but the same wife! But those two trees have more children and no Thomas.  So I'm a bit hesitant about Ambrose, and think that Sir. John has more verification on his information, except for maybe Thomas of the Mayflower.

Five: I've worked through about 8-10 references on each of these 4 ancestors...and am trying to find out more about the 5th mentioned child, Thomas Rogers...but my head and eyes are going bonkers. Time out for me...I've done 3 solid hours today. So this is where I'll start again next time.



1 comment:

  1. Hello Miss Rogers my name is Joey Rogers and I believe that my family goes to John of 1507 to Aaron fitz roger of 1249 can you help me out my # is 940 442 3072







    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.