description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

From my past

 These old photos were in an album which frankly had seen better days. Many of the exposed photos stuck to each other where they were on facing pages. I also had culled many of the photos of my sons and given them new locations in cardboard albums, behind a plastic transparent screen. I don't know what has become of those, because they were gifts to my three sons. 

I found strangely enough that some photos had been added much later of my third son, who of course hadn't been around for most of the early events.

Anyway, I've spent several hours scanning and organizing them. The only ones I'll share here are ones that represent more than just my family. These represent places and events as well as people that may have died.

So to start, let's see about my own birth.

This is not an official birth certificate, and I've taken off my dates and my mother's maiden name, which might be of use to somebody wishing to steal my identity. Those footprints sure won't help them! 

I was a pretty long baby at 20-1/4 inches. I don't know if the other stats are at all unusual.

It's a cute document with a gold seal. After I scanned it I tore it up and threw it away. Who would want such a thing? It's not legal!


This shot, from the infamous Kodak box camera, shows I could sit up by the time I was 7 months old.
I think I have a heart locket on. And there's a bent-wood chair behind me on the front porch in Dallas TX. Date on the back says March 21, 1943



And I liked to give my smile to the photographer. I like this shot showing the bassinette. And the lovingly knitted cap and sweater by my grandmother. Dated March 17, 1945

Last shot from March 1945. It was wartime, and I think the car parked in the next driveway was our neighbor's. All cars were black then. And they had this awful brown/grey upholstery. (Well that was my memory anyway!)

And I just realized that because I had all boys, I had kept my old knit bonnet tucked away somewhere because of course it was pink! I didn't have a chance to give it to any granddaughters either, because they didn't live where it was cold.   But I did find it still where I tucked it. No moths have gotten to it either, amazing over all my moves and 79 years.



It did bring tears to my eyes, thinking of my dear grandmother whose fingers made these stitches. Love can be carried through the years in strange and beautiful ways.

Fast forward...next post I'll bring some other family members here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.