description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

How far back from the Lovetts does ancestry go?

While my father's father's family (mainly the Rogers) settled in Virginia as early colonists, my father's mother's family came to New England. I call that portion of my family tree the Ada Swasey Rogers Family Tree. And I've posted about a lot of these ancestors before.

But I want to check and see if there are any additions to the tree up on the branches back in England before the colonials came to America.

Recently I had been talking about Mary Lovett Tyler, who was accused of witchcraft in 1692 in Andover, MA.  And yes, new people have been added to my tree!

Her father, Daniel Lovett, was an immigrant to the colonies sometime between 1620 and 1650. Since he was probably born in 1620 on 24 Dec. in Chesham Parrish, Buckinghamshire, England, it is likely he didn't come to the American colonies until he was at least a teen. But since his parents (which I've just added to my tree) also came to the colonies, he could have been younger.

Daniel was not only one of the immigrants of my family, he was a Deacon of the church (there was only one church at that time.) On 8 June 1645 in the Boston records he married Johanna Blott. Johanna was born on 1 Oct, 1620 in Harrold, Bedfordshire, Eng. Daniel died on 24 Jan 1691, in Milton, Suffolk, MA. Johanna died on 20 Mar 1665 in Medon, Worcester MA.

Daniel and Johanna were my 9 times great grandparents.

Now let's look at Daniel's parents who also immigrated to the colonies. His father was Edmond Lovett, born in 1600 in Chesham, Buckinghamshire, Eng. Edmond married in 1618 to Magdalen Gitten. I found an interesting note in another person's resource, stating that Elizabeth Lovett was their daughter, and she married one of the Smith sons, and became the grandmother of Joseph Smith of Latter Day Saints fame.

However, as much as I like that the Mormons do a lot of ancestry additions, it is highly unlikely that Magdalen Gitten Lovett was the mother of Elizabeth Lovett Smith, who was born in 1672 while Magdalen had been born in 1600. No mother gave birth anywhere near her 72nd birthday.

Now the record does say that Elizabeth was the daughter of Edmond, and not Magdalen. So maybe there is another mother that I haven't found. My ancestor's mother was Magdalen Gitten Lovett though.

And I will pause here knowing of my 10 times great grandparents...and that there are at least another generation given (thanks to the Mormons probably!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.