description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Monday, May 17, 2021

Mary Horton Tyler of Andover, Medon and Roxbury MA

Job Tyler had ancestors, but I am unable to pin down which ones were his. Several other trees on Ancestry have completely different parents than the ones I had the last time I looked at his resources. So as of today, I have taken off  the ones I had on my tree, and not added the others yet. I'm waiting to see if there are any additional hints coming along. In the meantime, let's consider his second wife, Mary Horton's family. His first wife was also Mary, but we don't know anything about her, and it's certainly confusing history. Originally my records showed Mary Horton had been born in the same year, and died in the same year as her husband, Job Tyler. But I later figured out that these dates are just assumed probably by some modern genealogists.

I do have a Mary Horton, who was baptized in Tredington, Warwickshire, England, whose father was Thomas Horton. The baptism took place on Nov 2, 1617, and the original writing is legible.

I just removed records from my tree which said she was the Mary Horton, daughter of Thomas, who was baptized on 1635, because she married on March 20, 1637 in Massachusetts, and was probably more than 2 years old. 

Job Tyler and Mary Horton Tyler's first son, Moses Tyler, was born on 16 Feb. 1641 in Andover, MA, and was named Quartermaster as an adult.

Mary Horton was the daughter of Thomas Horton I. (I've added the "I" to his name because there was a son named Thomas Horton also, who I've named "II" 

There are several Thomas Hortons who lived in the early New England colonies. I don't believe my ancestor was the one who died in Springfield MA, nor the one who died in Long Island NY. I may be wrong, as I'm just guessing, based on his daughter who lived in MA, though that doesn't mean her father lived in the same area necessarily.

My records show Thomas Horton I was born in 1596 in Mowsley, Leicestershire, Eng. and died in 19 May 1687 in Cambridge, Suffolk County, MA.

His wife may have been Mary Eddy or Mary Moore. Since some records of the Eddy family exist, I will check through them to either rule out her being his wife, or perhaps substantiate it.

It doesn't look like Mary Eddy Horton was the daughter of a Rev. Eddy...but might have been the daughter of John Eddy (1597-1684) and possibly his first wife, Annie or Amy Horton. Mary Eddy Horton is more likely to have been born about 1600 instead of 1596, since her father had a birth date of 1597. But that means her father was only 3 when she was born. Oops.

So this parentage is questionable. And I'm not going to put John Eddy as her father, nor his brother, Samuel...though they were listed on a ship's manifest in 1630 arriving in Plymouth MA.

I'm going to stop this tree at this point...too many questionable dates for the parents of the Tyler ancestors who came from England. It may always stay that way, or perhaps some more documents will be clarifying.

Thomas and Mary Horton were my 9 times great grandparents, who did come to the early American colonies




No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.