description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Thursday, May 13, 2021

More ancestors beyond the Lovetts

The parents of Magdalen Gitten Lovett 1600-1674) were Roger Gittens (1581-1603) and Elnora Robinson Gittens (1583-1617).

Though Roger was British, being born in Worthen, Shropshire, Eng, his wife Elnora Robinson was Welch, and was born in Llanllugan, Montgomeryshire, Wales. 

Stained glass window of kneeling abbess at the medieval Abby of Llanllugan, Wales


St. Mary's church, Llanllugan, Montgomeryshire, Wales.

They married in her Llanllugan, Montgomeryshire, Wales in 1600. I have at least 5 children listed in Ancestry, most of whom used the plural of the surname, Gittens. Some, including Magdalen, seemed to just use Gitten.

I don't have Elnora's parents on my tree at this time. But I welcome the bit of ancestral blood which is Welch.

Elnora died on the 13 July 1617, in her home town (I wish I knew how to say it.) Roger died 16 Aug 1603 in Great Ness, Shropshire, Eng. Below is St. Andrews church in Great Ness, Eng.

He must have had a profession that made him travel, or perhaps he had relatives there, since it's also in Shropshire, where he had been born in Worthen, Shropshire, Eng. Unfortunately I don't know how close Wortham is to Great Ness.

Roger and Magdalen Gittens were my 10 times great grandparents.

And...I'm not finished on the Gittens' family tree. Roger's parents also appeared.

Some church of England parish records have the following baptismal entry:

Father: Ric'i Gyttns

Gender: Male

Child: Rogerus Gyttyns

Ancestry has changed that name of his father to Richard Gittens...who was born in 1540 in Worthen, Shropshire, Eng. He died 25 April 1602. 

Richard Gittens' wife was Alice Meritt Gittens, born sometime between 1535-1545 in Shropshire, Eng. She died at an unknown date and place. And once again we don't know anything about her parents.

So I complete todays post with these 11 times great grandparents, the Richard Gittens of Shropshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.