description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Immigrant ancestors Robert Adams II and Eleanor Wilmot Adams




These were the Puritans who came to America.
Robert and Eleanor Wilmot Adams landed in one of the early ships...in Ipswich MA in 1635.

They brought their first two children (John, age 3, and Joanna, age 1) with them, and had one child born and die in 1635 the year they arrived in America.  They then had 2 more children in the original settlement of Salem, Essex County, MA. Then they moved to Newbury, Essex county, MA, and had 8 more children, with the last one born when Eleanor was 41.  Eleanor died in 1677 at age 67, and Robert II remarried the next year to Sarah Glover Short, who was his age (according to the records at Ancestry) 76, and she lived until she was 95. She was the widow of Henry Short and then of Robert Adams.

When Robert and Eleanor's daughter, Joanna Adams married Lancelot Granger, he was not part of the freedmen of the Puritan church. One commentator in Ancestry said that he had enough riches that his not being a Puritan was overlooked by the tight church group.  The Grangers raised their family in Newbury MA until after their last child, then moved to Suffield CT as it was originally being settled (which was in MA at that time.)   (See post about Lancelot Granger HERE. and about Suffield CT HERE. )

Because there are only a few records about their lives, there are some controversies about who the Adams children were.  One descendent is positive 3 of the children listed at Find-A-Grave, didn't exist, nor did Eleanor as a "Wilmot."  There will probably continue to be controversies, and I just hope that my ancestors are listed and really existed...though of course they did exist whether or not they're listed in Ancestry!

Robert and Eleanor Adams are my 7th great grandparents.

They are no relation to the Adams of Quincy MA, of whom President John Adams was a descendant.

Now I have to find where the connection to Sam Adams, the brewer, can be found.

Today's quote:


It is not the answer that enlightens but the question.
Eugene Ionesco





6 comments:

  1. Came back over and started scrolling down and found this post on the Adams'. I remember when I was doing research on the Adams branch of my family that I came across a Samuel Adams that was a brewer. I think he was in Chelmsford, or Carlisle, MA, although it's been so long since I've done anything with it that I may be wrong on the location, but am pretty sure there was one who had a "brewery" with one of his brothers, I think. :) Fascinating stuff. Am curious, what research tools are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent information. I start with Ancestry (where I run 3 trees for different branches of my family, and they are public). Then I often go off into Google to see more about places, historic sites, other info on people who might be noteworthy. It's a busy and time consuming thing to do, and I'm grateful to be retired and able to spend hours a day doing it. How about you? Have you publicized on Ancestry?

      Delete
    2. No haven't used Ancestry all that much... I've been out of the loop for quite a while on doing any research, but my husband just retired and that is one of his "goals" - to do his family research, so I imagine we'll be using Ancestry as well.

      I went back into my files this morning and see that -
      I did get as far back as my 3X great grandfather, Samuel Adams b. 1781 in Chelmdford, MA (whose father's name was also Samuel, I think, but could never confirm it.) My Samuel married a Dorcas Heald b 1792 in Carlisle MA. They had 8 children, one being my 2X great grandfather Oliver S. Adams, who married Caroline Carter and had two children, a son Oliver S. and daughter Carey. Oliver (the father) died when he was only 25 years old of bilious colic. The son, Oliver (my gg) married Martha Case, who was an herbalist and midwife. Apparently this line of the Adams were shoemakers, as well as cabinet makers. So evidently a migration occurred at some point and they moved into the city of Lynn to work in the shoe factories. I've been to the cemetery in Carlisle where a lot of Adams' are buried and got pictures of head stones, like you, although they didn't come out as well. Love those old huge slate headstones! As you can see it would be easy for me to get back into this again! :) LOLOLOL

      Delete
    3. Yes, it sounds like you are interested and should do at least a blog...where you chose an ancestor and do just like you did, write a paragraph about what you know. I think it would be enjoyable to read, and maybe your relations would like it too. Glad to hear your hubby is interested in doing some work on it. I moderate comments, so sometimes it takes a couple of hours before they show up on the blog...but eventually it will be read and posted. That way I don't get spammed.

      Delete
    4. I understand about moderating and the delay - no worries... :)

      Finding your blog here on your own genealogy has certainly *unexpectedly* re-sparked my interest in genealogy! I have to get my bearings with it all again, but yes, may eventually do a blog. Although my relations could care less. Their eyes glaze over with it all.

      Thanks again :) Christine...

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the info. Do you have any idea the name of the ship Robert and Eleanor came over on? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.