description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Thursday, January 11, 2018

A favorite photo

It's hard to choose a "favorite photo" of my ancestors, on my George Rogers Family Tree.  I admit I think I chose based on who the person was, rather than his photo.

I'd say George Washington Rogers was a hero who many of his descendants looked up to, my great great grandfather. Here's a baleful-looking portrait of him.  I spoke about his fighting in the Mexican American War (HERE).

George Washington Rogers,1820-1864.

I gave more information about his life, his home in Huntsville, and how his remains were moved to Lebanon Parish, LA and interred by the Masonic Lodge #104 on this post.

His wife, Luci Gibbs Rogers, apparently traveled back to her home in Bienville, LA when she gave birth, as all six of  their children were born there, though only 3 lived to adulthood. Her brother was Dr. Jaspar Gibbs, and I've mentioned him HERE.

Dr. Gibbs had many children himself, and apparently the Gibbs family was wealthy, whether in Huntsville where they were bankers, or Louisana where they had plantations.

George W. Rogers' father, Micajah, was one of the founders of Huntsville, TX.  Here's a bit of detail about him, Micajah Clack Rogers.

I also looked more closely at the letters from Sevierville in 1954 to my grandfather.  That was the first we'd heard of the sisters of Micajah, who hadn't been included in the Rogers Family Bible, from whom J.A. Sharp was descended.

Here's a copy of the letter to my grandfather, George Elmore Rogers.



Mr. Sharp speaks of several documents about the Rogers family that I've never seen,.  I wonder if the Historical Society of Sevier County, TN has copies of them.  I'll be including this post in the Facebook Group, Sevier County Genealogy and active sharing.

 I mention several of my great great grandparents on the George Rogers family tree.

Today's Quote:


“Meditation is a lie. When we try to control the mind or hold on to an experience, we don’t see the innate perfection of the present moment.” ~Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.