description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Cousins search!

Editor's note: This is a very interesting story, but I've just discovered that the Conn family which I'm related to does not include Mary Margaret Polly Norman Conn as the mother of Hannah Conn Booth (my ancestress). So if you're related to her, then this might have meaning for you.

 So how are we related?
Violet and Barbara ...

We both have a common ancestor named Isaac Norman II.  That's through my mother's Booth Family Tree.  And going up Violet's tree through various names...

But she said she was researching her Rogers line when she found me, so that made me curious.  And I found where her Rogers family was there, up way out on her tree, but so far haven't seen a connection to my Rogers family.  It's real likely though, because both of our Rogers lines eventually go back to Virginia.


The furthest back I've been able to trace through her Rogers family is to the 1742 birth of Rev. Col. James Rogers, Albermarle Co, Virginia. His descendants went west through Kentucky, Ohio and into Indiana...then south to North Carolina.

Me? Our Rogers came from Virginia to Tennessee to Louisana to Texas to Missouri to North Carolina (and a few other places I've lived)

So we may be cousins through my father and my mother.  Who knows.

Oh goodie, right this minute I just found lots more hints for James Rogers, Colonel, so I will set aside another 30 minutes to look at some of them, to see if there are documents (and maybe read a few) and maybe there's a birth or parents listed...off I go.

OK, that took much longer than anticipated.  I'm pretty sure there were 3 James Rogers'.  One was Jr. the son of the Colonel.  And another one was probably born in Ireland and moved to New Hampshire.  I doubt very highly in colonial times that he also lived at any time in Virginia.  Thus there are many confusing wives/children of the Jameses!

James Rogers, with his brothers Jonathan and Matthew Rogers helped build this log fort that was about 4 miles from Bardstown, Ky in Nelson Co. The marker is at the intersection of Boston Road (US 62) and Airport Road (SR 2737) on the right while traveling west on Boston Rd.

What was Lord Dunmore's War? I read through the Wikepedia Citation, here, and feel there were many incidents of Indian/colonial conflict that haven't been given adequate coverage in the historic rush to the Revolutionary War.  These settlers were invading the Indian's hunting territory.  Daniel Boone was among them, and lost his son to an Indian battle. 

Barbara and cousin Violet in Shelby NC
I'm still trying to figure out if his father was Matthew, Peter or James.  For now, we just know someplace across the waters, a colonist came and began a life in America, including having this son, James. And his descendant is Violet, who I'm glad to have met last week!








2 comments:

  1. I am also related to James Jacob Rogers. He is my 7th GGFather through his daughter, Mary Ann. You can reach me at spc.jacob.miller@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Jacob! I never have found my own connection to him, but Violet would be glad to know you're her cousin, I'm sure.

      Delete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.