description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Sunday, February 4, 2018

More Welborns, Wilbournes or Wilborns related to me

To continue looking at where the children of my fourth great grandparents ended up, all born in Union District, SC to Maj. Elijah Wilbourne and Mary Molly Roundtree Wilbourne. (Yes there are spelling variations...and some first names confusion as well.
Yesterday we looked briefly at :

1. Martha Patsy Wilbourne Hayes (1791-1875)
2. Sabra Ann Wilbourne Gibbs (1792-1864)
3. Dorcas Lucinda Wilbourne Nance (1793-1875)
4. William Rountree Wilburn (1796-1878)5.  Nancy Wilbourne Nance (1800 - between 1860-70),
6. Mildred Roundtree Wilbourne Pruet (1801-1874)
7. James Rogers Wilbourn (1804-?)

The remaining children on my list are:

8. William Sanford Wilbourn (1803-1874) d. Panola MS or Huntsville, Walker, TX  - First, would a family name another son William with just a different middle name? Second, when I look at the hints on Ancestry, some of them are for Sanford, who lived and died in Texas. And some of them are for William who lived in MS.  So now to sort through them, and perhaps remove the William on this Sanford's name. That's my first thought.  But it won't be my first action!  I'm wondering if the "William" of MS stuff off of my Ancestry tree should be just Sanford's name.  Argh!

Oh goodie goodie, the other Ancestry trees are about evenly divided as to whether he died in TX or MS.  There is a grave and a wife's grave in MS.  That makes a good case for Sanford Wilbourn.  Now I'll look for some documents that give him William as well.  The only document that MIGHT be him, is a 1860 Census of Panola MS, Pleasant Mount post office. where he is S. Wilbourne age 56 (thus a birth in 1804, and has listed names of his family, Nancy 46, Ada 22, J.T. 19, Sidus 16, Lamar 14, Alice 11 and Sanford Wilbourne 4 (probably Jr.)  He's a farmer in that census, with a personal estate valued at $69,000.  There are a lot of other docs for Sanford, including a probate record in MS.  There's even a picture of him (no William in the name). I think I'll keep William in parentheses with a question mark for now.

Now let's see if any documents exist for the Sandford Wilbourne (spelled in any way) in Huntsville TX (besides having same birth and death dates according to all those trees!)  Nope, the same records of his 3 censuses in MS, and a Georgia Marriage doc, and then Find a Grave in MS with the date and description missing as to place, but it's the Web: Mississippi Index.  So I think it was not likely he died in Huntsville TX.

OK, I'm sorry to have bothered your time, going through all this.  I'm sorry I had to take my time doing it also.

9. Elijah Wilbourn (1810-1878 ) d. Panola Mississippi. He's also buried in the same Fredonia Methodist Church cemetery which has a seven page list of graves where 27 Wilbourns are listed who are buried there!  Here's a photo of Elijah and his wife.


Written on back: Major Elijah Wilbourn, Jr. 10th child, 4th son of Major Elijah Wilbourn and his wife Mary Roundtree Wilbourn.  Elijah Jr. was born in Union County, South Carolina. He married Eliza Duggan.
And Elijah had a son named William Sanford Wilbourn, 1853-1935! But on my list of children, I only had him as the 9th child, so perhaps there's another daughter that I've missed, according to the notation on the back of the photo saying 10th child.

10. Jane Wilburn Bishop 1811-@1890. d. Panola MS  She also married in Newton GA where one of her siblings also had nuptials. She may have died before 1890, as her grave marker has no dates, but her husband died in 1880. She was buried in Rose Hill Cemetery, Sardis, Panola County, MS where her husband had his grave. Her name is engraved on the stone, but no dates.  Several Ancestry trees say she died in 1890, and others say she was alive as of 1850...I'm going to the 1890 guess.

11. Elizabeth Wilborn Robinson, 1812-1888, buried at Putnam Baptist Ch Cemetery, Buffalo, Union County, SC.

The conclusion is how many remained in SC? 3
Mississippi?  4
Alabama? 1 (possibly) 1 certain
Georgia? 1
Texas? 1

And remember Elijah Sr. stayed in SC while his wife moved to MS (perhaps after he died)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.