description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Col. James Gibbs family

I spent a couple of hours the other day looking at the records of the children that Col. James and Anne Barnett Gibbs had between them, on Ancestry. That meant checking sources for all those little hints that are being blandished about.  I wish they wouldn't somehow put 10-20 other Ancestry trees as hints, which all say about the same thing.  And above all (yes this it the extent of my rant against Ancestry for today) I wish their algorithm wouldn't use a tree as a source...it's just a information gatherer...and lots of that information is not sourced at all! 

My intent was to find any links to cousins that may still be living in the South or North Carolina area, which is where I currently live.  There are lots of possibilities!  But I also found that generation was the big wave of movement west and south into frontiers that were just being opened.  I also discovered a few children who weren't really James and Anne Gibbs children, but might have been from that general area so were added to their family. NOT funny!

 First I admit to taking off Anna (b. 1801) and James (b. 1817) since Ann Barnett Gibbs could not have mothered them after having been born in 1740.  Nor could James Gibbs because he died in 1794.  REALLY NOW PEOPLE!

These are the children that I can pretty well believe were theirs:
Agatha Gibbbs White 1770-1848
Zachariah Gibbs 1772-1814
John Gibbs 1774-1851
Ambrose Barnett Gibbs 1777-1835
Susannah Gibbs 1781-1814
Hiram Gibbs 1784-1844 (my 3rd great grandfather)

Agatha had 2 children (White last name)
Zach had maybe 7 children, though 3 are listed as all being born in 1810.
John may have married twice, but has no children listed at this time.
Ambrose had 3 children
There's no information that Susannah married or had children at this time.
And Hiram had 8 children, all of whom lived to adulthood. One of his daughters didn't marry or have children. 

As I've mentioned elsewhere, 2 of the Hiram Gibbs children married into the Rogers family, a Gibbs man married a Rogers woman, and a Gibbs woman married a Rogers man...both brothers and sisters.  So everyone was an aunt or uncle of everyone, and the children were so merged in their cousin-hood, I doubt that they cared.

But let me go back to the children of Col. James and Anne, namely the Whites, Zach Gibbs' children, and Ambrose Gibbs' children.

I want to see if any of them stayed in this area, while Hiram and all his children took off to Alabama, Texas, Mississippi, Louisianna, and who knows where else.

Well, I just realized how this will become exponential, and of course there will not be any people listed who are alive today.  Somehow I forgot that part of Ancestry..there are only the deceased on it.  I did find an interesting first cousin, 4 times removed, Spencer Gibbs, son of Ambrose.  He fought in the Civil War, enrolling at age 42, then re-enrolling later after his first tour was up.  He and his family had moved to Mississippi.


So now to look at the huge maze of Zach's seven children.  Very briefly!  First, they all lived to adulthood.  
1. His oldest son, Laban, married and had one child.  His wife was Jemima Sellers Gibbs.  I had an Aunt Jemima! No, just a cousin, four times removed, by marriage.
2. Second child was Anna, born in 1801...ah ha! She was his child, not Col. James! See I was right to remove her from his immediate family.  She ended up being his granddaughter (I think.)
She married another White, and had 15 children.
3. Priscilla married but had no children.
4 Churchill never married and lived in Union District SS all his 81 years.
5. No info on John who lived from 1810-1880
6. Nothing on James who lived from1812-1842
7. No info on Mary 1814-1884
8. John (also born 1810) who died 1892, somehow mixed up in Ancestry...definitely same parents, same birth year...oh the headache...he was Rev.John Ottis Gibbs, who married and had one daughter.

So of my 1st Cousins, 4 Times Removed, I have just found how many who had more children?  I'm not even going to count.  Lots. And their great-grandchildren's grandchildren are probably my generation...4 greats down from them to my generation.

OK, when I meet anyone named White, or Gibbs (or Rogers of course) I'm going to see where their family is from!







1 comment:

  1. I found in the Union County, SC Court records, 1777-1783, a partition of Land of James Gibbs which is proof of James, Ambrose and Hyram, being the three underage children listed in James Gibbs Will.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.