description

Events of importance are at Living in Black Mountain NC
My own life and my opinions are shared at When I was 69.

REMEMBER: In North America, the month of September 1752 was exceptionally short, skipping 11 days, when the Gregorian Calendar was adapted from the old Julian one, which didn't have leap year days.

Friday, February 23, 2018

The story of Hannah Booth

As lives continue, so does my story about them...

William Lewis Booth had lived in Lawrence County, Indiana, and had 3 children born there with his first wife, Mary Ann McManus Booth, 1818-1842, who was born and died in Lawrence County, Indiana

So none of those documents state that Hannah was James and Nancy Conn's daughter.  But it's more and more likely to me.

Hannah had only one sibling documented, James Erwin Conn, 1824-1870, (born in Lawrence County, Kentucky, three years after the county was established), who later moved to Iowa.  But he also lived in the town of Carr, Jackson County Indiana in the census of 1850, as a farmer.

Carr, Jackson County Indiana is noted for ..."The Medora Covered Bridge (which) crosses the East Fork of the White River.. Measuring abutment face to abutment face, the Medora Covered Bridge is the longest (three-span) historic covered bridge in the United States."  I had quite a search and am not sure yet as to its "long length"...perhaps 460 feet.



Some more logical clues that Hannah Conn Booth belonged to this family are that Nancy's mother was named Hannah, and James had a sister named Hannah.

I'm not only sad to leave my old tree ancestors, I'm sad that these "new to me" ancestors didn't have families who had records of their own ancestors, so this has become a dead end, except for the Conns themselves.  None of the mothers had parents listed beyond one generation. And these Conns didn't come into the US as immigrants in similar areas, so I don't see that they were related to my old family tree of Conns, when they came from England, Ireland or France.

The county names are confusing, and I hope I've copied them correctly, Lawrence County being in both Kentucky and Indiana (but nowhere near each other).  Lawrence County IN is right next to Jackson County IN, so it's easy to imagine Hannah meeting the widower, William Booth, and their marriage taking place in Jackson County IN, as well as the birth of their first child, Richard (my ancestor).  However they don't stay there long, and within a year are in Illinois!

Today's quote:


Every intersection in the road of life is an opportunity to make a decision.
Duke Ellington
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you! If you leave your email then others with similar family trees can contact you. Just commenting falls into the blogger dark hole; I'll gladly publish what you say just don't expect responses.